• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 02:34:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 150
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 176
Total: 176

Root tab money saver...

Started by P4Angels, November 28, 2012, 06:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P4Angels

Saw this on another sight and want to see what your opinion of it:

"Osmocote(outdoor and indoor) & gel capsules "00"

It's safe for the fish if used correctly, should not be used in tanks with critters that are sensitive to metals(ie. copper)Fill the longest part of the gel capsule all the way up and then cap it with the shorter end.Place a capsule under each "mother" plant and replace every 3-4 months(for the 4 month slow release kind) depending on how heavy of a feeder you plants are.My 1.25lb. container cost me $7. Hopes this helps, big money saver."
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

Not a bad idea, but I'd question the copper....lots of fish are a tad sensitive to it...what 'other' metals???....it would be ok for a just plant tank tho
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

I have used Osmocote Plus and I dont believe it has copper.  If so, not enough to affect the Cherry shrimp in the 55g I was using it in.  I put the fert in flower watering tubes (florists use them on the cut stems of flowers to keep them fresh thru an event) in which I have Dremel-drilled small holes.  I cap it off and slide the tube into the substrate under the plant.  About every 2-3 months I refill them. I'm using them right now in my 54g corner bowfront tank.  The plants are doing fantastic and the Amano & Bamboo shrimp are doing very well.  I also inconsistantly use Seachem Flourish and Excel in the water column.

I haven't used the capsule approach.  The only disadvantage I see there is that the little beads' ''shells'' would be left behind in the substrate and be unsightly.  Have you seen this anyone?

I also know that some people will fill a plastic drinking straw to a level with the Osmocote, push it into the substrate, then pull the straw out leaving the fert in the substrate. I could see this also leaving the little bead-like shells behind too.

Good post Aron!

Ron
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron