• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 09:59:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 112
Total: 112

I want to make this

Started by LizStreithorst, June 27, 2014, 04:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cuban_style_pork_rice.html

I will have to substitute canned artichoke hearts for fresh but that's no biggie.  I'm not willing to drive into the city for a pint of rum, so I will leave it out.  But saffron...I have a feeling that it's a necessary ingredient and it is absolutely not available here.  It's way expensive.  Nobody would buy it.  I like to cook from time to time, and this is the first time even I have wanted to make something that called for it.  I'll hunt for a substitute but I know dang well there will not be an acceptable one.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

I will use this.  It won't be the same but it will have to do.

Saffron Substitutions

Unfortunately, there is no truly acceptable substitute for saffron. Its distinctive flavor is a must for classic dishes such as paella, bouillabaisse, and risotto. If your recipe calls for saffron, do yourself a favor and use the real thing to fully appreciate the intended result.

? However, if you absolutely must substitute, a combination of 1/8 teaspoon of turmeric plus 1/2 teaspoon of sweet Hungarian paprika may be substituted for 1/4 teaspoon of ground saffron.

Barb

Tumeric and Paprika will at least give you a nice color Liz.  Let us know how it works.
Barb

LizStreithorst

I'll do it next Friday, the 4th.  The color will be right but all the subtle undertones will be lost.  I expect it to be good but not blow me away.