• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 02:02:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 291
Total: 292

Dr. Tom Waltzek

Started by LizStreithorst, June 23, 2014, 01:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Dr. Tom of the U of Fla spoke at NADA.  In my 63 years of life I've have never heard a better lecture.  He is just one step away from proving that what we call "Discus Plague" is a herpes virus.  He has even sequenced the DNA of the virus and found it in cells of infected fish!  He wants to publish in the worst way but he can't until he has proof.  For proof he needs to grow a cell line and he hasn't been able to.  He'll be traveling to Asia, because he found a fish scientist there who has said he has grown a Discus cell line. 

The man is a genius.  He has an idea of the level of knowledge of the dedicated hobbyist.  Everybody thought that it was great I felt that he was talking to me since I've had this virus.  His lecture was more than worth a week off work and the cost of going to the convention.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Every once in a bit you run across an exceptional speaker at those type functions. I'm glad to hear that you did at NADA.  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I just got off the phone to him.  I told him that I'd had an outbreak of this terrible virus and how I handled it.  He confirmed for me that my fish are as safe to keep and sell as much as anyone can say that their fish are clean.  He 'splained to me in smart layman's words why.  I really needed that.  I believed that my fish are clean from the results from Hansie's fish, but I needed reassurance from the guy who has dedicated himself to this virus.

The biggest problem for him with Discus is because they are a  mostly a hobbyist's fish there is not much money coming their way.   The Koi people had the same type of virus but since there are big commercial breeders in Koi, they had the clout and got results sooner.  NADA gave the U of Fla. $500. but although that's a large amount for us, it's hardly a drop in the bucket.

The same type of Herpie's  virus was responsible for Angelfish plague.  Dr. Tom would make a good speaker for ACA or some big Angel club. 
Always move forward. Never look back.