• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 01:38:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,318
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 240
Total: 240

Breeding Golden Wonders (Aplochelius lineatus Gold)

Started by P4Angels, November 27, 2012, 09:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P4Angels

Breeding Golden Wonder Killies (Aplochelius lineatus)
By Aron Jemison AKA P4Angles

About the breed:
Originally from India, and exported from Indonesia. Other common name is gold panchax but is considered to be a close relative. Panchax means bait.

So I have wanted to breed a new type of fish and as I was doing research on killie fish I found this stunning fish Golden Wonder Killies (Aplochelius lineatus) was a great starter for Killifishes. I picked this quad 2 male and 2 females up at a auction at the recent GSAS (Greater Seattle Aquarium Society) see the below time line. 

Tanks setup:
The minimum tanks size I would recommend for this fish is a 20 high.  The tank should be bear with the exception for a small air driven seeded sponge filter. I would start by filling the tank to about ? fill and place a heater set to 75 degrees. The water should be soft and slightly acidic with a PH as close to 6.8 as possible. Ensure that there is a tightly fitting lid on this tank as Golden Wonder Kellies are known as jumpers.

Add a 2 of these to the tank using acrylic yarn. Here is the web page to get you started: DIY Direction can be found at this link- Spawning Mop easy to make in less than 5 min.

Example of a DIY Spawning Mop:

Spawning:
The male will drive the female into the mops and adopt a stance alongside the female; the pair will then form an "S" shaped pose as the male squeezes the female into the fibers of the mop. This is followed by a slight jerk and a single egg is deposited and fertilized, then the pair release only to start the process over and over again.

The eggs are quite large and can withstand a fair degree of handling. Pick the eggs from the mops daily ( gently, with your fingers) and place them in a margarine tub, floated in the parent tank. Remove fungus unfertilized eggs daily. The fry will hatch in or around 10-14 days. They are quite large and can take newly hatched brine shrimp and micro worms from the outset. Keep the adults well fed (live foods, frozen and flake) and keeps their tank clean, removing any uneaten food on a daily basis. Water changes are also an essential part of killifish husbandry and I like to change about 1/3 of the water weekly.

These fish are quite a large species easily attaining 3-4 inches in the home aquaria, they are predatory by nature, so please do not combine them with small tetras or danios etc.

I cull the runts and slower growing fishes for the simple reason of maintain good solid stock, the smaller ones will only be bullied and subsequently killed by the larger ones. When the fry are starting to sex out you will notice a fair amount of squabbling, especially among the males. Take out the females and rear these separately.

This is a nice species to breed for the novice killifish enthusiast, they present little or no problems in maintaining, breeding and the rearing of fry and present a stepping stone to go on and attempt some of the more exotic species.
I hope this was of some help to you in some form or other.

Time line:
11-14-12 (Night one) -  Got home from the GSAS (Greater Seattle Aquarium society) plant show with a trio of these beautiful fish.  Did an online search for a DIY Spawning Mop.   Set up there tank with 75% water, a tight fitting lid(I hear these buggers love to jump) and 2 spawning mops.  In addition I have some fake plants (in case they try spawning on them) and added them to the tank.  I already had some of Cory?s wonder sand in the bottom.  So I thought I would leave it be for now.

11-15-12 (day 1) -   Took the tank down to 75% add a second mop.

11-16-12 (day 2) - After doing some reading online I found that I have 2 male and 2 females in the tank.   He seems to have his favorite female and the other 2 hide.   I feed them some frozen blood worms today, trying to intense them into breeding.

11-22-12 (day8) ? Water change today.  Nothing new male keep pushing other two male around the tank. 

11-27-12 ? Day13 ? AM water change. PM - Went to check the mops 1st time since we got them home and to my surprise there and had 15 eggs in the mop.  I will have to start checking them every day now.   I placed the eggs with water from the parent?s tank in a Tupperware bowl and kept them at room temperature.

Mop as I pulled it out the tank:

What the eggs look like in the MOP:
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Jo

Those are really beautiful fish! How cool how they breed. I knew there had to be something fishy I could do with my yarn LOL. ;) Good luck with them!!!
Jo

P4Angels

Since I posted this we have over 20 fry in a small container  ;) 
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

Mugwump

Excellent post !!!...I like the 'time line'...it helps to learn how long things should take, as well as the process of raisng and spawning. Concise and informative....thanks
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

Something I have been working on for all my other then angel fish.  Get a few posted as time progresses.  I would ask that more member do the same.  Should attract allot of users to the board.

Mugwump

I'm not much of a writer, but I'll see if I can work something up.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

Quote from: Mugwump on December 11, 2012, 11:47:08 AM

Im hear you there, you know what they say the more you write them the better they get. It was something that my professor in school said any way...

Mugwump

Quote from: P4Angels on December 11, 2012, 01:07:11 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 11, 2012, 11:47:08 AM

Im hear you there, you know what they say the more you write them the better they get. It was something that my professor in school said any way...

The only good thing is that in typing things here...you won't have to decifer my handwriting scribbles........LOL
Jon