• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 07:08:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 342
Total: 343

Two examples of persistance....or whatever!

Started by Ron Sower, June 14, 2014, 11:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Exmple 1:
I have 2 male Apistograma Kelleri and one female in one of my community 54g corner tanks that are standing side-by-side.  A couple weeks ago I moved the dominant male to the tank on the left side. 2 Days ago I was looking at what I thought was the formerly subdominant male in the right tank and thinking...Wow! He sure grew once I removed the big guy!

Then I noticed there were 2 males in the tank! There is a space in the glass cover of each of the tanks and apparently the big male jumped from the left tank back into the right one. 

That's not the end of this story....

Example 2:
Last night I was doing a major W/C in the right tank and was pulling all the plants to reduce/trim them and I moved one of the caves in it the tank. I picked it up and noticed the female kelleri was hanging tight inside it. So I turned it over, bottom side up, and she stayed right there. Suspicious, I looked closer and there was a small, decimated clutch of eggs in the top of the cave! By this time she'd taken off and headed to other parts of the tank, so I placed the cave back on the substrate in a totally different location, figuring she wouldn't return to it.  A minute or 2 later there she was!  Peeking out from it!  So during the course of the W/C I moved it to different places about 3 more times and, finally, she quit going into it. By then the Bistlenoses had discovered the caviar! 

I'm not sure which of the males is the "ONE", but both the large male and the female were definitely persistant!

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

..LOL...... ;D    good story....great fish ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

You may want to I.Q. test these Apistos.  They sure don't sound like "dumb animals".   ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

Quote from: PaulineMi on June 14, 2014, 02:42:09 PM
You may want to I.Q. test these Apistos.  They sure don't sound like "dumb animals".   ;D

Now that's a thought!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron