• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 08:56:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 134
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 129
Total: 129

Substrate or potted plants...??

Started by Mugwump, November 26, 2012, 07:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Who's using substrate and who is using small clay pots or something else?? I use just the gravel, and have used gravel in pots for plants, too. I've read about using the 'Miracle gro' soil in pots but is it safe??..dirty??....just wondering. I guess I'll try the soil with gravel on top and see if it goes...??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

peat on the bottom and rocks on top is what's in my pots. they grow like crazy. I use miracle grow plant food in my tanks 1/4 teaspoon to every 10 gal.. Cheap and easy.

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on November 26, 2012, 07:42:12 PM
peat on the bottom and rocks on top is what's in my pots. they grow like crazy. I use miracle grow plant food in my tanks 1/4 teaspoon to every 10 gal.. Cheap and easy.

Interesting.....perhaps that's a better option than soil...with peat I can lower the PH too..right?..or is it too little to make much difference??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

I know a guy that sells stuff called Plant-Tastic for aquarium plants . . . . . . . .

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on November 27, 2012, 04:32:56 AM
I know a guy that sells stuff called Plant-Tastic for aquarium plants . . . . . . . .

Doh.....LOL...I fotgot about that........sheesh.......
Jon

Jdmcfast

What is plant-tastic? And where do you get it?
Josh

Rjb3

Hey Josh, You'll find a brief description on my web site under "Grow Plants Like Mad!".

BallAquatics

Ron Sower

Right now I'm using different substrates and not really doing any scientific measuring or quantifying.  I really like to have a very thick layer of it.  Some hobbyists chuckle when they see my 3-3.5" of substrate in my larger tanks.  It's because I like to have plenty of root growth.  I'm using a product called 'Turface'' which is a bake clay-like product used on athletic fields for loose compacting and drainage.  It is light and some plants don't root well because the loaches keep turning it.  One of the respected plant growers in our club had experimented with it and recommended it to me.  Apparently it will absorb nutrients from the water column and feed the roots.  So I was in the process of weaving Glosso and baby tears into the wquare holes of some cross-stitch plastic ''fabric'' to secure the plants.  Then I was going to bury that under a thin layer of substrate to see how that worked.

In the past I have also used clay pots.  Sand in the bottom, soil of some type, and aquarium gravel on top. Somtimes I would put manure in them instead of soil.  Plants flourished either way!  And with my pinchant for deep substrate, the pots were buried nicely out of sight and behind rocks and wood!

Currently I use a brand of root tabs in the substrate and Floursh Comprehensive and Excel for ferts.  I have also used Osmocote Plus in fertilizing tubes buried under and near the roots of plants.  My concern with any ferts is with Copper- don't want it.  I like to have a few shrimp in most of my tanks. They're great little cleanup guys and easy to get because our club members are going gaga over them!  Ha!  (Trends are interesting in a group, aren't they?)

So there you have a few of my thoughts, Jon.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Thanks, Ron....we've had plants thrive in gravel (not all plants) and were looking at a better way to expand the variety..
Jon