• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 11:16:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 320
Total: 320

Brine Shrimp eggs

Started by EdKaz, June 02, 2014, 06:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdKaz

Time to get some more
In the past Ive bought Jehmcos eggs, but they're like $62 a can now ???
I know theres other places and better prices, so Im looking for experiences using eggs from other places before I place an order.

Who get em where....how much......What grade?

LizStreithorst

I've always used Brine Shrimp Direct and top be honest I've been happy with the 70% hatch rate ones.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I use Brine Shrimp direct too.....and Jehmco, of course....

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Depending on how you use them, you might want to try getting decapsulated very low hatch rate brine shrimp cysts.

I heard a talk at a meeting which compared feeding these cysts (decapsulated but unhatched) to adult zebrafish and seeing no difference in how they did compared to when they were fed hatched out nauplii.

The cost of this kind of brine shrimp is very low because it is a low hatch rate that a lot of people aren't interested in, but because they have been decapsulated they are nutritious if eaten by the fish.
$16/pound: http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c1/c2/Decapsulated-Non-HatchingBrine-Shrimp-Eggs-c21.html

The study did not look at how larval (baby) fish did with them. The unhatched decapsulated eggs will sink to the bottom and not have any movement to act as a fish attractor, so it is not clear how well larval fish would do with this kind of food.

LizStreithorst

I believe that the wiggle factor is important when feeding fry.  I believe that fry should get off to a flying start and nothing does that better than a food that excites their hunting instinct.  They say that decaps are actually more nutritious because the brine shrimp's eggs sacks are still intact.  I don't care what they say.  I'm prejudiced in favor of live.  If I could afford to feed my fish a 100% live diet I would. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Because I don't have any really good place to set up a hatchery, I was asking about DBSE's at one of our dinners with a speaker. The merits of BBS and DBSE were discussed, and I determined that the DBSE would suit my needs well enough. However, I'm not actively into a fish breeding program. I have watched the fry devour them as the DBSE slowly swirl and sink in the water column. Smaller adult fish do the same.

In my opinion, the fact that the egg sacs still have all the original nutrients in them makes them a good source of protein.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

I agree with Liz here......newly hatched bbs is the best for new fry....they move and entice the fry to eat better. I have decaps that I can feed to the Danios, BN fry, cory fry, etc...because they do sink after a bit.....I'm guilty of even feeding it to dime size fry, but only in a pinch. It's not just the protein...it's the 'movement' in this case....bbs is not that hard to do....it's not rocket science  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

;D ;D ;D ;D
Quote from: Mugwump on June 02, 2014, 12:58:45 PM
I agree with Liz here......newly hatched bbs is the best for new fry....they move and entice the fry to eat better. I have decaps that I can feed to the Danios, BN fry, cory fry, etc...because they do sink after a bit.....I'm guilty of even feeding it to dime size fry, but only in a pinch. It's not just the protein...it's the 'movement' in this case....bbs is not that hard to do....it's not rocket science  ;D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

EdKaz

QuoteDepending on how you use them, you might want to try getting decapsulated very low hatch rate brine shrimp cysts.

I might have to try some just for the helluvit.

I agree in that there typically NEEDS to be some wiggle factor that only fresh hatched BBS and or micro etc worms can provide initially, but it would be interesting to see how the lil ones would do, two- three into free swimming on decaps rather than tossing in crushed flake with em. With flake running around $10 a pound in 4-5 pound buckets anyway, and just $16 for a pound of decaps .......worst thing that happens is I kill an extra $6......while satisfying my own curiosity. Ive certainly wasted far more on DUMB things before. :-X :-[ :-[

Quotebbs is not that hard to do....it's not rocket science

True.....but it sure does get a bit tedious  :(

I run two batches a day.....morning and afternoon feed. Ive Tried the one larger batch for a whole day routine before, but ran into bacteria issues so I wont even TRY that again. Its also why I typically buy the higher hatch rate eggs.....24 hrs "in the mix" and OUT.
  If they dont hatch by than, down the drain they go. With the higher hatch % eggs Ive had, the larger portion of em  seem to hatch quicker/quick enough for my routine.

Thanks for everyones input