• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 08:31:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 244
Total: 244

GCCA Classic & Auction

Started by b125killer, May 23, 2014, 08:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

Is anyone going to the GCCA Cichlid Classic? I'm going to the auction on Sunday.
Scott

Mugwump

I don't know yet.............that can be a dangerous place to go right now... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

There was some nice fish there last year. The angel fish weren't going for that much either. I shouldn't go but can't pass it up. Maybe I can pick up a new pair.
Scott

b125killer

Well this auction kind of sucked. There wasn't that many people there. My sister got some pseudotropheus demasoni. But unfortunately she accidentally killed them off. She started a new tank and forgot dechlorinate the water. They were some pretty little fish too. I didn't get anything. There was a few bags of angels but it looked like the guy was trying to get rid of his cull fish.
Scott

Mugwump

Frank used to always have bags of angels to sell there.......he must not have gone this year...??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Nope, Frank wasn't there. I think Memorial weekend wasn't the best time to have there Cichlid Classic. Plus it was so nice yesterday,  who would want to spend the entire day inside.
Scott

wsantia1

You're right Scott.  You'd think they would pick a better day than the first major holiday of the summer season. ???
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Carpking

The classic has always been held over Memorial Day weekend. Historically, bag count for the auctions have averaged 550. Turn out was low this year for the auction, but the actual event was fantastic, well attended (banquet dinner was close to 100), had great speakers such as Anton Lamboj and Laif Demaison, and over 100 tanks of rental and show fish. The auction is one small part of the event. It's unfortunate that all anyone cares about is an auction where they can try to get cheap angelfish  :o

Mugwump

Quote from: Carpking on May 26, 2014, 11:06:58 AM
The classic has always been held over Memorial Day weekend. Historically, bag count for the auctions have averaged 550. Turn out was low this year for the auction, but the actual event was fantastic, well attended (banquet dinner was close to 100), had great speakers such as Anton Lamboj and Laif Demaison, and over 100 tanks of rental and show fish. The auction is one small part of the event. It's unfortunate that all anyone cares about is an auction where they can try to get cheap angelfish  :o

I'm not sure that was the intent of the comment Bob....usually the better breeders are in attendance with bags at the auctions...and yes, then it can become a 'highlight for a lot of folks...those fish don't go cheap, but it's a chance for some to really better their fish stock. The public at large are the folks that help support GCCA through their attendance and buying power. I agree the 'Classic' is a first rate weekend. However, not all will attend for the 'whole package' experience. It's just the way people are.....
Jon

Carpking

Having attended auctions all over the country, with the exception of an ACA auction, I've never seen stock go through an auction that could "better my stock". Auctions are fun, but let's face facts. No one is putting their best fish in any auction because the crowd is almost completely comprised of bargain hunters trying to get the fish for the cheapest price.

Two examples:

1. Four years ago, eight Hoplarchus Psittacus came through the auction. They were boxed four to a box, two in each box, and were breeder size. John Van Asch of St. Louis said "wow! This is a rare fish! This is a fish that goes for $100 each on whole sale lists." He was very clear in telling the 300 people in attendance what was up for auction. I got both boxes for $20/ea.

2. Two years ago, Aaron brought WILD Moba Frontosa and had paperwork to show the import purchase. Prices? $27, $27, $21

So I know that with the bargain hunters (nothing against bargain hunters, I'm half Greek and can be cheaper than the best of em!) I would NEVER bring my best fish to an auction. Pete Durkin had 20+ rental tanks at the auction. Not one of his fish went into the auction. I can guess why. My Frontosa that I'm selling? No way I put them in the auction. My point is that over many years and many states, and speaking with premier vendors the facts are simple about auctions. It's a good place to dump fish (someone above alluded to the fact that he thought someone was selling cull fish) and the people at auctions are primarily bargain hunters. Good quality fish are sourced through swaps, classifieds on sites like this, and through fellow club members.

;)

Mugwump

Quote from: Carpking on May 26, 2014, 11:32:47 AM
Having attended auctions all over the country, with the exception of an ACA auction, I've never seen stock go through an auction that could "better my stock". Auctions are fun, but let's face facts. No one is putting their best fish in any auction because the crowd is almost completely comprised of bargain hunters trying to get the fish for the cheapest price.

Two examples:

1. Four years ago, eight Hoplarchus Psittacus came through the auction. They were boxed four to a box, two in each box, and were breeder size. John Van Asch of St. Louis said "wow! This is a rare fish! This is a fish that goes for $100 each on whole sale lists." He was very clear in telling the 300 people in attendance what was up for auction. I got both boxes for $20/ea.

2. Two years ago, Aaron brought WILD Moba Frontosa and had paperwork to show the import purchase. Prices? $27, $27, $21

So I know that with the bargain hunters (nothing against bargain hunters, I'm half Greek and can be cheaper than the best of em!) I would NEVER bring my best fish to an auction. Pete Durkin had 20+ rental tanks at the auction. Not one of his fish went into the auction. I can guess why. My Frontosa that I'm selling? No way I put them in the auction. My point is that over many years and many states, and speaking with premier vendors the facts are simple about auctions. It's a good place to dump fish (someone above alluded to the fact that he thought someone was selling cull fish) and the people at auctions are primarily bargain hunters. Good quality fish are sourced through swaps, classifieds on sites like this, and through fellow club members.

;)

Good points, and I agree about the better quality fish going cheap...but then again, as you state..that's just the way auctions are....bad as some of those fish can look tho...sad to say that they're better than some folks have....
My favorite part of the 'Classic'  is the display tanks. The GCCA has some extraordinary breeders/keepers for members. Those having never attended the weekend, or a swap, are missing some of the best fish anywhere. But it's the 'Classic' where the superstars show up...
Jon

Carpking

Superstars? As long as I'm there, it'll only be average at best!  :P

Mugwump

Quote from: Carpking on May 26, 2014, 12:14:44 PM
Superstars? As long as I'm there, it'll only be average at best!  :P

LOL.....I know that you've got some beaut's squirreled away....
Jon