• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 06:37:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 339
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 329
Total: 331

Eggs......its whats for Breakfast

Started by EdKaz, May 18, 2014, 01:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdKaz

From the 80 Gal "Lets see what happens tank" yesterday morning......

First time for the two new pairs that were laying at the same time.

Egg EATING,AND FIGHTING skills.....IMPRESSIVE as Hell
Fertilizing and hatching em......not so much ::)

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

ah, but most entertaining...for sure....LOL ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

On a more interesting note.......was moving some HE fry around yesterday from one of their last batches and found 3 albinos in the mix.Definitely among the smallest of that batch,but they are big enough to  see them pink/red eyes now, as I watched em eatin crushed flake.

Have another batch that should be up and swimming tomorrow that I tried to keep away from the lights again......might toss em all into the "swamp" tank and see if I can get more of the white fish to survive by livin in that green water for the first couple weeks.

JR

Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on May 18, 2014, 04:12:19 PM
On a more interesting note.......was moving some HE fry around yesterday from one of their last batches and found 3 albinos in the mix.Definitely among the smallest of that batch,but they are big enough to  see them pink/red eyes now, as I watched em eatin crushed flake.

Have another batch that should be up and swimming tomorrow that I tried to keep away from the lights again......might toss em all into the "swamp" tank and see if I can get more of the white fish to survive by livin in that green water for the first couple weeks.

a lot of light being used to produce the 'soup' tho.....???...too much?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

You certainly have an eye for quality and an eye for the unusual, Ed.  I don't care much for albino's other than to admire them.  They ain't for me as far as breeding.  I do adore the pair.  Please tell me what they are in English and in Greek, pretty please.  My guess is that they are marbled, blue, smokey and maybe more that I don't know enough to spot.  They are het for albino.  Or perhaps my shot in the dark is way off the mark.   You will have a blast breeding them.

Always move forward. Never look back.

EdKaz

Quotea lot of light being used to produce the 'soup' tho.....???...too much?

Yeah, alot being used now to MAKE the "soup". Plan is to tone it WAY down once I add the lil ones, and hope the green sticks around long enough to help get the spooky eyed ones fed for a week or two....... until they can find the BBS easy enough as well. 

Liz.....the albinos I mentioned were/are coming from a pair of HE's (het EVERYTHING) I got from Mugs.

Im really not into the whole albino thing myself, but the pair keeps spittin out a decent number of real light colored fry mixed in with EVERYTHING else that Im assuming are more albinos (they are pretty small cant REALLY tell) The lightest colored ones in each batch typically die 3-4 days after free swimming,(again Assuming....they cant quite see yet and are starving ) while the rest of the batch does real well.

My thoughts were to dump the whole batch (after they start free swimming) into a 10 gal I have here, and call the swamp. A HEAVILY lit tank Ive experimented with to 'grow" green water, and algae in. I figure if they(albinos) are having problems FINDING food......Ill let em SWIM in it.
Im little more than just curious at this point with the real light colored fry that keep dying off. If the "swamp" works....great....if not oh well...... Ill still wind up with hundreds of other fry that run the gamut from the pair,and that have been typically growing fast.

Mugwump

Note....the HE's, I got as fry from 'Frank the Plumber' ....they should carry a half black too..??...watch for that expression as the fry near 30 days +/-....
Jon

EdKaz

I have 3 batches here from them  3/3, 4/9.... and the just starting to Mutiny this morning bunch from 5/12.

Despite the die offs of the white ones, each of their spawns have produced HUNDREDS of rather fast growing fry. MOST have been either Ghosts or Zebras with SOME blushers mixed in.....and again a small percentage of PB Ghosts, Zebras, and a small number of paribas. The Pb fish Ive separated from the packs, are growing MUCH slower than their siblings.

Ive read Nortons articles and seems a lot could possibly come into play in getting 1/2 blacks to express.
I Havent seen any half blacks or even any indications of any to go or be 1/2 blacks in any of the batches to date. Thats not to say the potential for the 1/2 black genes to be in the fish isnt there..or isnt showing up later in fish I have sold off though.

Ive kept a small handful of their Zebras and ghosts (as well as most pb's) separate from the masses giving them LOTS of room, food and fresh water....(LOTS of light too though 10-12hrs a day or more at times) Some of THOSE non pb, are tickling 1/2 dollar body size, with interestingly enough ONE Pariba, that is leading the pack in growth rate. ???

At some point I may put more effort in em to see If I can get  any fry to express 1/2 black....for NOW the large  majority of fry are nice well shaped fish  fish that are growing quick, and helping pay the electric bills ;)

Truthfully I should have aborted this last spawn as Im running out of room. Ill give em a week or 3 in the "swamp" adding BBS to the swampy mix just to see what happens and or develops with this batch....... Im expecting I'll likely wind up icing a bunch :'( ............or have to start building that trough.

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

Go for the trough, Ed.

On another point, Discus folks say that low light is better for albino fry...that their eyes are so sensitive bright light will blind them.  Angel people think the opposite.  Strange.  You'd think that what works for one would work for the other.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 19, 2014, 11:36:45 AM
Go for the trough, Ed.

On another point, Discus folks say that low light is better for albino fry...that their eyes are so sensitive bright light will blind them.  Angel people think the opposite.  Strange.  You'd think that what works for one would work for the other.

No angel people don't think the opposite.....Albino fry need very little dim light.....
Jon

LizStreithorst

EdKaz

Time to sit for  a few.......

QuoteAlbino fry need very little dim light.....

Thats what I have been reading as well.....in fact I kinda remember an article penned by Frank not too long ago, that addresses the issue.......including suggesting that even while in egg and or wiggler state, light will/could destroy their eye-site permanently up until a certain point of their developement as fry. ( 2-3 weeks free swimming?)

I kinda remember seeing an albino or two in your tanks John......while they are nice looking and different, there seems to be Too much hocus pocus and extra "effort" FOR ME to have to worry about and get "just right" to make the Albinos something I would like to pursue, and or breed on any regular basis.........I dunno maybe its just the fact that there is /would be lots of "let downs" when things DONT go JUST RIGHT that keeps steering me away. :-\

...ah, the 'trough' ..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Go for the trough, Ed.

Uhm ....I was hoping for words of DISCOURAGEMENT on building a trough...kinda like "Well DUH......Separate the pairs and theyll quit filling your tanks"......or "turn off the heaters and cut back on the food" ;) ;) ;)

38 tanks and Over 1400 gallons of water going here now........any more and Im thinking Ill just stuff a standpipe in the floor drain to act as an overflow....... and just flood the basement. ;)