• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 07:34:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 256
Total: 256

Danio margaritatus Fry Cover

Started by PaulineMi, May 10, 2014, 09:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

My CPDs are in a heavily planted 10 gallon tank that they share with cherry shrimp. In addition to the live plants there is also an artificial plant mat thing in a back corner. It's supposed to be good for fry cover. However adult CPDs are so small I'm not sure that the mat will actually provide shelter. The CPD wolf pack pack has learned to hunt down shrimp in every nook and cranny in their tank.

Would having floating cover of some kind serve any useful purpose?  I'm not expecting a big fry survival rate but wondered if a few babies could make it in this tank. I'm just curious as I'm not going to tear down the tank to move adults.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

Hornwort or Guppy Grass (Najas guadalupensis) would both work well Pauline.

Dennis

BillT

Maybe not the solution for you Pauline, but I have used a variety of sizes of Matala to provide cover for baby fish. Matala is used for pond filtration.
It can be heavily bleached to clean/sterilize it.

http://www.matalausa.com/prod38.html

Normally it floats but it can be weighted down by pushing marbles in to it.

A more normal alternative would be to use something like java moss.

PaulineMi

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 10, 2014, 09:10:01 PM
Hornwort or Guppy Grass (Najas guadalupensis) would both work well Pauline.

Dennis

Hornwort fell apart for me when I tried it in the past. I don't know why. I'll see if I can find guppy grass or maybe a super thick bunch of java moss to float.

Quote from: BillT on May 10, 2014, 09:23:38 PM
Maybe not the solution for you Pauline, but I have used a variety of sizes of Matala to provide cover for baby fish. Matala is used for pond filtration.
It can be heavily bleached to clean/sterilize it.

http://www.matalausa.com/prod38.html

Normally it floats but it can be weighted down by pushing marbles in to it.

A more normal alternative would be to use something like java moss.

I think I may have something like this in my stash of fish supplies that I hoard. Thanks.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

Don't forget this option too.....Dennis posted it a while back.... ;D

http://danionins.com/diy-egg-trap
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Thanks Jon.  I did forget about that.  I had even saved a small container to make one.

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on May 11, 2014, 08:23:06 AM
Thanks Jon.  I did forget about that.  I had even saved a small container to make one.

me too.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I have never really had much luck providing cover for CPD fry.  As Pauline mentioned, the adults being so small, can navagate their way right through most cover and find the fry.  Who would think such tiny little fish would be such ruthless hunters?

Dennis

PaulineMi

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 11, 2014, 10:30:12 AM
I have never really had much luck providing cover for CPD fry.  As Pauline mentioned, the adults being so small, can navagate their way right through most cover and find the fry.  Who would think such tiny little fish would be such ruthless hunters?

Dennis

Ruthless hunters they are.  That's what I like about having them in the planted tank with shrimp.  Watching them literally form a pack and make their way through the plants and tangle of java moss is quite entertaining.

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on May 11, 2014, 11:10:18 AM
Quote from: BallAquatics on May 11, 2014, 10:30:12 AM

Dennis

Ruthless hunters they are.  That's what I like about having them in the planted tank with shrimp.  Watching them literally form a pack and make their way through the plants and tangle of java moss is quite entertaining.

LOL...even my little ones from Dennis do that...altho not quite so tiny any more.....they forage like jackals.....
Jon

BallAquatics

Let me know if you need some guppy grass Pauline.  It grows like a weed for me.

Dennis

Mugwump

here too........we've got a few tanks that bulge with it...LOL...it likes regular  incandescent lights especially  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

PaulineMi

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 12, 2014, 04:45:17 AM
Let me know if you need some guppy grass Pauline.  It grows like a weed for me.

Dennis

Yes Dennis, I'd like that.  PM sent.