• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 10:16:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,316
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 230
Total: 231

Albino Dantum Question

Started by PaulineMi, May 02, 2014, 08:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

The male and female Dantums have been in a 20 gallon tank for 3 1/2 weeks now...no spawning activity. They spawned twice in the 55 which they shared with four other Dantums and a group of little fish. The 20 has a mix of RO and well water with a TDS of 90 +/-  and a temp of 80?.  Abient light is provided, one side and half the back of the tank is black, the rest has a light background (an insulation foil).  There is a fake plant, sponge filter and a tan bare bottom in the tank.

Overall the group of Dantums are somewhat skittish.  Since moving the pair they don't sem to be adjusting at all to being in their new tank.  They are in a quiet area of the fishroom but they're next to where I keep the fishfood, run the RO water and near the sink. There is some activity where they are but nothing extreme.

My question is will they eventually adjust?  Should I make any changes?  Liz is sending me worms...I'm thinking live food will help condition them for spawning.  However their hiding all the time doesn't seem conducive to spawning.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

I've found that they can be skittish, after moving/disturbing them....those here settled down eventually....you might try a bit more light and toss in couple guppies or something..?? I have to admit that the Daltum behavior is a bit weird tho...overall a strange phenotype..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Thanks Jon.

The ones that are still in the 55 act relatively normal...other than when I clean the tank or do water changes. But yes, the Dantums are different.  Pretty fish though.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)