• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 10:49:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 314
Total: 314

open faced or closed casting reel ??

Started by Mugwump, April 24, 2014, 07:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

.....I like the open faced better, more accurate and more fun with the 'smallies'... ;D ;D ;D....hell even a big bluegill....LOL.............
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

I use my open faced when I go out on a boat.  Casting reel when I'm on the shore.  I'd rather be on the boat because I can't cast as far as I use to. :o 8)
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

JR

I still have my old Zebco 202 love that reel. Never could get use to a open face.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on April 25, 2014, 06:19:57 AM
I still have my old Zebco 202 love that reel. Never could get use to a open face.

Zebco rules for the g'kids.............still work for years, no matter how many times they end up in the pond.. ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

Open face unless Im specifically targeting the "river monsters"..........

Than the only thing that holds up is baitcasters

Ron Sower

So Ed...What size aquarium did you put that bad boy in?  ;D ;D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Jon

BallAquatics

My dad had me using Garcia Mitchell open face reels at a very young age.  When I was just a kid we would spend a week or two every spring fishing in Canada.

When mom and my sister would would go, we would go somewhere civilized like Rice Lake.  When they didn't go, we would go way up north to uncharted areas with some of pops friends from work.  One year we were at this place way up north, 450 miles north of Sault Ste. Marie, Canada, and the northern pike were so big, over 4 feet, that they would take baby ducks from the top of the water.

I've got a photo somewhere of my 5' 8" dad holding up a 4' 10" northern pike standing in front of his '59 Chrysler.

Dennis

EdKaz

QuoteSo Ed...What size aquarium did you put that bad boy in?

Those 3 fish ( as are most fish I catch)were released back into the river in hopes of someone else gets a crack at the adrenaline rush those runaway freight trains WILL give a fisher-person.

wsantia1

Quote from: EdKaz on April 25, 2014, 03:14:16 PM
QuoteSo Ed...What size aquarium did you put that bad boy in?

Those 3 fish ( as are most fish I catch)were released back into the river in hopes of someone else gets a crack at the adrenaline rush those runaway freight trains WILL give a fisher-person.

Those are some awesome fish.  I'm sure you had a great time working those guys in. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

..in the Finger Lake region of N Y......in the 50's.....keepers for northern were 40"....anything under you had to toss back....there were some monsters in those lakes...
Jon

sschind

Quote from: JR on April 25, 2014, 06:19:57 AM

Grew up on 33s and its still all my dad will use.  I prefer the open faced now. 
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

sschind

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 25, 2014, 12:10:32 PM
My dad had me using Garcia Mitchell open face reels at a very young age.  When I was just a kid we would spend a week or two every spring fishing in Canada.

When mom and my sister would would go, we would go somewhere civilized like Rice Lake.  When they didn't go, we would go way up north to uncharted areas with some of pops friends from work.  One year we were at this place way up north, 450 miles north of Sault Ste. Marie, Canada, and the northern pike were so big, over 4 feet, that they would take baby ducks from the top of the water.

I've got a photo somewhere of my 5' 8" dad holding up a 4' 10" northern pike standing in front of his '59 Chrysler.

Dennis

Did you always live in Ohio Dennis?  I'm just curious because Rice Lake is not a town most people mention in forums like this.  I mean its not like its Spooner or anything.  I grew up about an hour or so south of Rice Lake in Chippewa Falls.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB