• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 05:49:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 242
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 216
Total: 216

Celestial Pearl Danio (Danio margaritatus)...here now

Started by Mugwump, April 23, 2014, 08:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

....I'm proud to say that we just got 12 of these little darln's from Dennis. They've settled in nicely and should mature quickly. I'm working on a 'honeymoon suite' for the first pairings....excited...this should be fun and interesting.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Dennis, what temp do you keep yours at currently?......different for spawning pairs?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I keep them as cool as I can.  Most of mine stop spawning when the temperatures get much over 75 ?F.  I've had them spawn up a storm in water as cool as 62 ?F.

A good many of the Danios and Devarios are labeled as "Tropical Fish" because that's what people want to buy, but in reality, many come from decidedly sub-tropical climates.  The Celestial Pearl Danio come from a mountainous region of Myanmar where the winter time temperatures drop to around freezing.  As they live in large shallow ponds, you can imagine how cold the water must get.

I remember chatting with Mr. U Tin Win of the Hein Aquarium in Myanmar back when these fish were thought to be endangered.  They were planning a state sponsored fact finding trip to the area and it was canceled for several days to let the temperatures warm up a bit.  As I recall, he said it was 4 ?C in the area around the city of Ho Pong.  The elevation ranges from just over a half mile to nearly a mile above sea level, (think Denver).

Dennis

Mugwump

Good to know.....I think the tank they're in is pushing 80?.....I'll fix that......they don't seem to mind tho, active, eating well, and colored up nicely....down it will slowly go.... ;D
Jon

BallAquatics

Yeah, they can stand the heat short term without any problems.  I did a test several years ago to see if they could take 86 ?F for a couple weeks to cure ICH and they were fine.  Prolonged hi temps will reduce their life-span though.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 25, 2014, 08:37:51 PM
Yeah, they can stand the heat short term without any problems.  I did a test several years ago to see if they could take 86 ?F for a couple weeks to cure ICH and they were fine.  Prolonged hi temps will reduce their life-span though.

Dennis

gotcha...thanks
Jon

Mugwump

The little darln's are growing nicely and look to be coloring up well....I need to set up another tank to maybe separate them for a breeding attempt....I haven't decided whether to try the flat dish or plant layer for the egg harvesting yet....probably try both to see which works better for my old eyes.  ;D
Jon

PaulineMi

They are about the cutest little fish around.  I just love mine. They've been here almost a year now.  (Thank you again Dennis)

Best of luck with your spawning plans Jon. They're so tiny it will probably be very difficult to see fry at first. Do keep us posted on what you do with them and how you do it.   :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

You are very welcome Pauline.  I'm so glad you are enjoying them.  I think Jon will enjoy the challenge of spawning them.  They are certainly different from cichlids and plecos in their spawning habits and parental care.

Dennis

Mugwump

...boy do they love micro worms  ;D...zoom/gulp.zoom.gulp.....LOL
Jon