• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 09:35:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 205
Total: 205

It begins.....

Started by Mugwump, April 10, 2014, 05:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...and so the journey begins for Winston and Helen.....it seems that they like a dinner audience ;D...because they're going hot and heavy again tonight....Winston's 'da man'  ;D

nest box now mounted.....now to see if the honeymooners move in.. 8)

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Best of luck to the happy couple.  Documentation with photos as possible, please. You will have a blast with this, Mug.  Do you have enough grow out cage space?
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Best of luck Jon and Jan. It will be a lot of fun when they breed. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 10, 2014, 05:30:15 PM
Best of luck to the happy couple.  Documentation with photos as possible, please. You will have a blast with this, Mug.  Do you have enough grow out cage space?

Oh yes, plenty..tho we'll likely add a cage....Jan's raised many birds before...but these seem special for some reason ;D....they're really characters ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

You will have a total blast.  I can't do birds but I want a blow by blow of the story.  You first decided that the male and female were a pair when he started talking to her in a different way, right?  Forgive me for being so blunt but did you see them do it?  I've seen wild birds do it.  It looks to me to be violent but afterward the pair fly off together.  Is it the same with caged birds?

I was introduced to birds when I lived in Mobile.  Both times it ended badly.  First time, John's Schnauzer killed the bird.  Second time it was my fault.  The bird was out and I was airing out the house with doors open  after I'd cleaned.  Bird gone.  I felt like shit.  I'm not responsible enough for birds.  I take care of the wild ones instead.

Mugwump

..yep, Winston's 'da man'....Jan got them as a bonded couple....they've rock'd the cage a few times now too....not violent at all....she mewed and gave off little noises, as he bopped away.. ;D Each bird species has a little mating ritual of their own, we're just getting used to these now...head bobs, neck stretching up/down...little chatters/coos.....and he feeds her.....we'll likely notice more over time..
Jon

LizStreithorst

Awe, he feeds her.  How sweet.

b125killer

Good luck with them. I'd like to get a green wing macaw but I don't have the time to care for a big bird right now.
Scott

ilroost

Mugwump

...the first egg(s) should start appearing by next weekend, I believe....Jan says that they'll continue mating/cavorting/bopping each day through the mating process....and they have too....a few times a day... ;D  Winston's da man.... ;D    Helen has an exquisite charm about her... ;D
Jon

Barb

Good thread Jon, keep us updated on the egg progress?

Right outside the main door of the nursing home where Bill is until Thurs (he gets to come home then!) is a pigeon nest. It is right on the ground,  made of a few pine needles, the parents take turns sitting on it.  The nest is right next to the porch where people sit and talk, only about 4'away!  Sure hope there are no cats around there.  Haven't seen any so far.
Barb

EdKaz

Quote;D  Winston's da man.... ;D

Bow chick a wow wow........."Gimme a smoke" :)

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on April 13, 2014, 08:41:05 AM
Quote;D  Winston's da man.... ;D

Bow chick a wow wow........."Gimme a smoke" :)

LOL............... ;D
Jon

Mugwump

...If these two keep it up, she's going to lay a 100 eggs+..... ;D.....when he disengages, he acts like he's pulling out an epee .....sheesh...should have named him D'Artagnan .....
Jon

EdKaz

Quote.If these two keep it up, she's going to lay a 100 eggs+

Youre going to have to turn the fish room into a bird room. ;)