• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 11:11:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 251
Total: 252

Angel Breeding Question

Started by PaulineMi, March 30, 2014, 11:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

Soooo...my Dantums, in a community 55, have spawned on the tank wall again.  ???   Even though I swore off raising more fry....well, you know.  ::)  Then there's the large dominant male Sta Isabel/Rio Negro male and his mate that are tempting me.....

Anyway, I have to set up a breeding tank with RO/well water mix as my water is over 300 TDS with a pH of 8, even 8+. Eggs harden and turn white so I have to move the Dantums to get viable eggs. I'll mix the water to get a TDS of less than 100 in their new tank.

My question...what would be the best way to acclimate the angels to this water parameter change?  My assumption is doing it via the drip acclimation in a bucket method.  Is this right?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Yes, I'd use a bucket too.....maybe even empty it once to get extra time in the acclimation......they'll settle in nicely after that.... ;Dgood luck;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Okay....the extra water change in the bucket is a good idea.  Thanks. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

BallAquatics

Something I do is to just do small daily water changes using straight RO, or rain in my case, until I get the water down to what I want it to be.  Within a week I've got what I want and nobody gets stressed including me!  LOL

Dennis

PaulineMi

Another good suggestion. Thanks Dennis.

Incidentally, I can't tell the Dantums apart well enough to pull the pair. While watching them I realized they stayed in the left third of the tank tending their eggs and chased the others away.  So....I made a divider for the tank, moved quickly while the angels were separated and voila! the pair are now segregated from the other four. Of course the big change in the tank caused them to immediately eat their eggs.  I plan on getting them moved to the 20 later this week.

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 30, 2014, 06:36:19 PM
I do as Dennis does.

What Dennis suggested is very good, if you're leaving them in the same tank, and moving the other fish...however, if you're moving them to another tank, then you'll need to use a bucket,  or acclimate them in 'that' tank.....the bucket's quicker when moving them...it's all time relative, that's all..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I have the 20 gallon honeymoon suite set up for the Dantums.  The TDS is 75, pH 6.7, temp 80 degrees, slate in the tank since they ignore the cone and deposit eggs on the tank wall. The seeded sponge filter from their current tank will go in the new tank. 

Is the TDS okay at 75?  If/when I get free swimmers I'll start adding our well water to harden their water a little at a time. 

In the past I just clipped an anubius leaf and stuck it in a 4 gallon tank. Never had to make accommodations for parents.

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 01, 2014, 10:46:11 AM
I have the 20 gallon honeymoon suite set up for the Dantums.  The TDS is 75, pH 6.7, temp 80 degrees, slate in the tank since they ignore the cone and deposit eggs on the tank wall. The seeded sponge filter from their current tank will go in the new tank. 

Is the TDS okay at 75?  If/when I get free swimmers I'll start adding our well water to harden their water a little at a time. 

In the past I just clipped an anubius leaf and stuck it in a 4 gallon tank. Never had to make accommodations for parents.

That tds is very good.....PH, also...adding well water is a good idea....perhaps use blended....remember that the fry will be albino......keep the light dim, or non existent when they're very young.....harsh light on those little eyes is a no-no...it can blind em...ambient light is plenty..
Jon

PaulineMi

I dont have a light on the tank. I've read all the albino eye posts so am prepared for "no excess light and a small tank for them".  Makes it easier for them to find food.

The water currently in the tank is blended. I figured out the ratio of RO to well water when I was setting up the tank yesterday. 

Any additional advice is welcomed.   :)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 01, 2014, 11:11:46 AM
I dont have a light on the tank. I've read all the albino eye posts so am prepared for "no excess light and a small tank for them".  Makes it easier for them to find food.

The water currently in the tank is blended. I figured out the ratio of RO to well water when I was setting up the tank yesterday. 

Any additional advice is welcomed.   :)

Do you have micro worms?...or vinegar eels?.....plenty of bbs?....duckweed harbors tiny micro-organisms too.....
Jon

PaulineMi

I have BBS.  I'll do a trial run with what I have in the freezer. They're from Angels Plus and hatched out extemely well in the past. Will have to see if a fresh supply is needed.

ghonk

Great to see you had another spawn so soon,David said on a forum that they spawn every month or two,which was a bummer when i read it.
Unless you have 2 pair. 

PaulineMi

I'm pretty sure its the same pair that have spawned both times.  It seems like the others are a group of four males. Time will tell.

Angelfishusa

Quote from: ghonk on April 01, 2014, 01:53:13 PM
Great to see you had another spawn so soon,David said on a forum that they spawn every month or two,which was a bummer when i read it.
Unless you have 2 pair.
Well, I might have been told that from the breeder but we don't see the same.  although we still haven't set up any in our breeding room, we are noticing that most spawn every 10 to 14 days so far.