• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 02:40:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 266
Total: 267

Pleco

Started by JR, March 15, 2014, 01:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

My LFS has some L-183 Starlight BNS in. As you may know I know very little about Pleco's. I would like to buy a half dozen of these guys. John wonts 18$ ea dont know if that Is a good price or not. They are 1.5- 2" long. I am going to read up on them tonight. Would these be ok for my first Plecos. Any advice on these guys would be helpful. Would like to buy tomorrow if it is a good Idea.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

Thanks Jon Going to let them go Don't wont to set up a blsck water tank

Rjb3

A friend of mine had some listed on AB last night: 10 tank raised fish $275.

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on March 15, 2014, 09:03:14 PM
Thanks Jon Going to let them go Don't wont to set up a blsck water tank

I think they only need the 'black water' to help generate spawning.....?

Quote from: Rjb3 on March 16, 2014, 06:26:18 AM
A friend of mine had some listed on AB last night: 10 tank raised fish $275.

Thanks, Bob....that proves that $18 is a good price, and that possibly the black water isn't really critical....perhaps just softer water??....alder cones/oak leaves, peat, etc...??....wood tannins?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

They are cool fish.  I got lucky with mine and got them at the club BAP auction.....  http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php?topic=1092.msg10030#msg10030

Dennis

JR

Dennis do they need a black water tank.

BallAquatics

Quote from: JR on March 16, 2014, 10:19:19 AM
Dennis do they need a black water tank.

JR, if they are wild caught fish, I would definitely say yes.  That said, my friend Brian over in Columbus, is raising them in Columbus tap water.  I have heard reports of F1's spawning in regular tap and not being as sensitive as the wild fish, which only makes sense.

Does John know where these fish came from, and is he keeping them in super soft water?

I haven't had a bit of trouble with mine.  I'm keeping them in mostly rain water at around 80F.  In less than a year they have grown to almost 4 inches.  I have heard they need to be over 3 years old before they will start spawning much like the Zebra plecos.

Dennis

JR

They are tank raised.

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on March 16, 2014, 12:40:35 PM
They are tank raised.

It sounds like you're good to go then.... ;D
Jon

JR

I will pick them up tomorrow. They look pretty dog gone cool.