• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 08:50:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 233
Total: 233

BBS

Started by Jo, November 09, 2012, 06:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo

Does anyone know of a kit or how do you all go about raising bbs? I've never done this before and would really like to try. I don't have a clue where to begin.
Jo

b125killer

this is what I got http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4445&cmpid=03csepg&ref=3475&subref=AA
you could also make one Look on you tube there's lots of videos about them. I was just to lazy to do it.
Scott

LizStreithorst

I have that one and I have an expensive kind.  I like that one best.  I think most fish stores carry them if you don't want to bother ordering.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

I use these from Brine Shrimp Direct.....

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c9/Hatching-Kit-p156.html

The most expedient and inexpensive brine shrimp egg hatching apparatus on the market The hatchery consists of an epoxy base which holds an inverted plastic two liter soda bottle as the incubation vessel. Insert the airline into the hatchery base, add salt water and eggs and you're ready to go! Included with the Hatchery Kit are three packets of "Hatch Mix" (salt and brine shrimp eggs*) along with detailed instructions. Note: Remove plastic ring from bottle before attaching bottle to base. * The brine shrimp eggs that are included in the kit are not processed, packaged or tested for quality by Brine Shrimp Direct. We do not make any representations as to the hatch-out quality of these eggs. As always BSD recommends that you buy eggs that have been recently tested for quality and that are always guaranteed.

$8.95

Dennis

Jo

Thanks everyone!!!!
Jo

BallAquatics

For years, I would hatch at least one batch of BBS every morning.  Here lately I've been using Moina instead.  I still have ups and downs with the Moina cultures, but I'm getting there.

Dennis

BillT

There are two ways to hatch brine shrimp. You can float the eggs on the surface in a shallow tray or you can keep them in suspension with aeration. The second method can produce more but the first is simple. The second method works best when the bubbles will sweep the settling eggs up into the water from a small bottom are, like an upside down pop bottle.

In either case, they need salty water to hatch:
250 ml rock salt
3/4 tsp. NaHCO3 (this increases the pH)
8 L water

Change the number proportionately for different volumes.

On occasion, I have had some eggs get into my rotifer cultures and grow to adults. They were eating algae.

Jo

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 09, 2012, 02:54:26 PM
For years, I would hatch at least one batch of BBS every morning.  Here lately I've been using Moina instead.  I still have ups and downs with the Moina cultures, but I'm getting there.

Dennis

Never heard of Moina what is it?
Jo

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Daphnia is great, but I've never been able to keep a culture going.  I only tried the big ones, never the Monia.  It prodces like crazy and then crashes.  It's the heat here down south I think.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jo

Wow that is really interesting! I'm going to try to raise some.

On occasion, I have had some eggs get into my rotifer cultures and grow to adults. They were eating algae.
Jo

Jo

Jo

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

However...this helps to inderstand them..
Moina also belongs to the Cladocera and many of the biological and cultural characteristics that have been discussed for Daphnia can be applied to Moina.

Moina thrives in ponds and reservoirs but primarily inhabits temporary ponds or ditches. The period to reach reproductive maturity takes four to five days at 26?C. At maturity clear sexual dimorphic characteristics can be observed in the size of the animals and the antennule morphology. Males (0.6-0.9 mm) are smaller than females (1.0-1.5 mm) and have long graspers which are used for holding the female during copulation. Sexually mature females carry only two eggs enclosed in an ephippium which is part of the dorsal exoskeleton.

Moina is of a smaller size than Daphnia, with a higher protein content, and of comparable economic value. Produced biomass is successfully used in the larviculture of rainbow trout, salmon, striped bass and by tropical fish hobbyists who also use it in a frozen form to feed over sixty fresh and salt water fish varieties. The partial replacement of Artemia by Moina micrura was also reported to have a positive effect during the larviculture of the freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii (Alam, 1992).

Enrichment of Moina can be carried out using the direct method, by culturing them on baker?s yeast and emulsified fish or cuttlefish liver oils. Experiments have shown that Moina takes up (n-3) HUFA in the same way, although slower, than rotifers and Artemia nauplii, reaching a maximum concentration of around 40% after a 24 h-feeding period.

Jon

Mugwump

Jon