• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 04:51:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 206
Total: 206

Water storage

Started by Jdmcfast, November 07, 2012, 11:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

What does everybody use as water storage containers and where did you obtain them?
I am needing to add more water storage due to more tanks and especially with sick fish and extra water changes.
Josh

BallAquatics

Mugwump

Same tub here, from Farm & Fleet....about $65-$70....I may need one more....??LOL
I use a submersible pump and heavy wall hose for filling....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on November 07, 2012, 12:40:08 PM
I use a submersible pump and heavy wall hose for filling....

That's what I do too.  I'm using a Eco 396 submersible pump    with drinking water safe hose from WalMart   

Dennis

P4Angels

We use a 100 gallon acrylic tank.  I picked up a bump from harbor freight and plumed it with 3/4 PCV and added a spray bar at the bottom to circulate the water.  The pump run warm and heats the water to 82 degrees.  I also use that pump with a ball valve to pump the water to the tanks.  Works great for me. ;)

Here is my holding tank:
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

LizStreithorst

I use these for my aged tap.  250 gallons each.  The top one holds less because I had to cut it off to get it to fit.  It's hard plumbed to the tanks through the blue pump sitting below them.  I used 1" PVC from pump to tanks.

I do my RO the old fashioned way.  I have 2 55 gallond drums like the one you see outside the window in the pic.  I use a sump pump and water safe hose to pump the water to my breeding tanks.

There's a guy down the road from me who sells these used.  The big ones were $135 each.  The blue ones were around $50. each.  If you use these be to sure to ask if they are food grade.
Always move forward. Never look back.

P4Angels

that is what I wanted to do also, but Lori did not like the idea of them sitting around the house...   Save alot of time just filling them up once...  Some day when I have a garage those are gonna go in.   One for tap water and the other for RO...   and have a Y spliter to mix them 50/50...
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

Jdmcfast

Liz that is what I have been looking for but the only one I was able to find the couldn't even tell me what was originally in it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

Mugwump

Quote from: P4Angels on November 07, 2012, 08:12:37 PM
that is what I wanted to do also, but Lori did not like the idea of them sitting around the house...   Save alot of time just filling them up once...  Some day when I have a garage those are gonna go in.   One for tap water and the other for RO...   and have a Y spliter to mix them 50/50...

Aron why store R/O.???...use it as you need it...that holding tub would be a nightmare, if not kept very clean....to my knowledge, R/O doesn't store well for long...you might be able to blend as you fill??...safer and less chance of baddies...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Jdmcfast on November 07, 2012, 08:54:32 PM
Liz that is what I have been looking for but the only one I was able to find the couldn't even tell me what was originally in it

Quote from: Jdmcfast on November 07, 2012, 08:54:32 PM

Look for recycling numbers on the container.  They are in a triangle with arrows.  #'s 1,2,4 and 5 are food grade.  They don't necessarily have to have used for a food product when new.  Just be sure you properly clean them.  I used a pressure washer.
Always move forward. Never look back.

P4Angels

Quote from: Mugwump on November 08, 2012, 05:23:56 AM
Quote from: P4Angels on November 07, 2012, 08:12:37 PM

Aron why store R/O. ??? ...use it as you need it...that holding tub would be a nightmare, if not kept very clean....to my knowledge, R/O doesn't store well for long...you might be able to blend as you fill??...safer and less chance of baddies...

With my water here i don't really need RO ... LOL 7.0 and 10ppm out the tap...

BillT

Here is a very big storage tank a neighbor has (don't know what for). It was standing up before the windstorm we had a week or two ago.
I'm kind of envious, but its way too big for me to use. The fence is about 4 feet tall. Standing up it was taller than part of his roof.

Mugwump

That's abig one, alright....you'd have to build a frame for mounting and re-plum it somehow, but the size is awesome....I wonder how many gallons it'll hold...and if you'd ever have to fill it completely???
Jon