• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 08:57:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 140
Total: 140

temporary homing some fish

Started by b125killer, February 23, 2014, 11:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I took in a few fish today. It's supposed to be temporary until my friend can get his tank set up. I'm hoping sooner rather than later. There all in a 20 gallon q.t. tank that's not going to support them for long.   There is a African Leaf Fish, two Siamese algae eaters,  a golden wounder killifish, Bolivian ram and a pair of clown loaches. I'm not to sure what to think about the leaf fish. He is around 4 to 5 inches and fat. I'm not to sure if it will eat the foods I have. I was reading that they perfer live foods. Ghost shrimps and black worms. If he won't eat frozen blood worms I might be in trouble.
I'm not even sure if the leaf fish is even going to make it. I don't know if it's just fat or has a parasite. I got him into the tank and he wasn't a happy camper. He's sitting by the filter with clamped fins. I'm hoping it's stress but I don't know anything about these fish.
Scott

LizStreithorst

Tell your friend to hurry up.  You are doing him a big favor  I would never board a friend's fish.  I'm too leery of disease.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Yikes! All I can say is be very careful Scott. :-\
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

uh oh....good of you to help him out, be careful tho......'air borne' baddies are what will get ya...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

I ''temporarily'' held some fish for a fellow who sold me a 75g.  He needed a space for his clown loaches til he got them sold. He finally told me just keep them. It turned into a love affair for me. I've added to them over the 3 years and have 11 of them now....! That temporary homing worked out okay.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

I'm a firm believer that things generally work out for the best and that most things happen for a reason.   ;)

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 24, 2014, 11:34:30 AM
I'm a firm believer that things generally work out for the best and that most things happen for a reason.   ;)

Dennis

yep, you just have to careful it doesn't occasionally bite you in the butt...LOL....we've all been in Scott's shoes, and tried to help someone out....but that doesn't mean caution should be thrown to the wind either......fish rooms, and stock, are not a cheap investments to gamble with.... just be careful out there folks....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 24, 2014, 11:34:30 AM

Dennis
Dennis... I think things work out for the best also, but it's when we are determined to direct our actions in that way. I'll bet, if you really think about it, that's the way you make your things work out for the best...right?  I've known a lot of people who don't seem to ever get out of dumps of life. They just don't get it that it's up to them.

I also believe ''luck'' is preparation meeting up with opportunity, and having the ability to recognize the opportunity. (Kinda like the evolutionary process, I guess!)

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Yea, we're thinking the same Ron.  Reality is what we perceive it to be.....

Dennis

Ron Sower

The thought process helped me get through a very rough time over the last 4 years...!
Cool Vid BTW!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

b125killer

I found the comments of this thread interesting and some what unexpected. To me it's helping a good friend out until he gets the tank going. The new fish are in isolation from my fish. I must admit I wasn't thinking of 'air borne' baddies. I'm thinking that it's no different then getting fish at a swap. I don't really know know where the new cory pod came from. I don't even know if there going to or have spawned before. I'm just taking a strangers word for it.
I do know that the leaf fish has to be a few years old. I was reading that there not fast growers. He's close to if not fully grown. I also know that the clown loaches and the ram look clean, they don't have ick. the loaches are small around 3 inches. they are under a year old judging by the size. They were all kept in a planted 75. I have all of them eating. I feed some guppy culls to the leaf fish. Other than not knowing anything about the leaf fish  witch I wasn't planing on ever having one. there doing good. I did redo the aquascape for the leaf fish. I found out there a ambush predator that prefers live foods. and likes to hide in caves and plants. so that's what i gave him. he is a cool looking fish. just not a good fit for my tanks.
Scott

Mugwump

Sounds like all's going well. I've held some fish for a few people too, and have been wary of anything that might cause concern for the fish room. Helping out is a great thing to do....if it doesn't end up being a headache. So I tend to preach caution. What ever will be, will be, is nice...but....it still helps to have your eyes wide open for it.... ;D....hope that I'm not sounding negative......but the 'will be' part won't justify catching a nasty in the tanks.... ;D ...and I know that you've taken precautions...
Jon

wsantia1

Well it sounds like all is going well so far.  I was just concerned because of some recent bad luck you had. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

I wouldn't advocate throwing caution to the wind either, but I wasn't overly concerned when you said, "There all in a 20 gallon q.t. tank".  You've also mentioned using better methods of keeping your nets and water change paraphernalia clean so I assumed all would be well.

I've held fish, and taken fish in on load to spawn before all without to much ado.

Dennis

Mugwump

I have to admit the leaf fish sounds cool....doubt that I'd ever have one, but it be interesting to watch the 'ambush'.....what ya feed'n it?.....or was that the guppy fry??
Jon