• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 05:21:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 180
Total: 180

Measuring Discus

Started by LizStreithorst, February 08, 2014, 07:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

This drives me up the wall.  I hear people all the time on different forums talking about the size of their Discus.  They always claim 6+ inches when they they think they have a big 'un.  I have yet to figure out if it's because they can't eyeball the fish and measure with their eyes, or if they have that stupid male thing,  or what!

I was at NADA 2010.  After the show Nicholson asked us serious folks giving the of fish a last look if a certain fish was the biggest Discus we had ever seen.  We all said that it was.  Heck, we'd been referring to as "the dinner plate".  Nicholson had measured the fish the proper way, from mouth to BASE of tail.  It was 6 3/8".
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...interesting, I'd always thought the same...mouth to base of tail...but I'll bet a lot of folks measure there angelfish vertically tip/tip of finage...??..with Discus I doubt that would measuring that way would increase the numbers anyway....rule of thumb...a dollar bill is 6"...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Does their measuring drive you crazy or to you just blow it off?

I never knew about the dollar bill.  I'll remember that.
Always move forward. Never look back.