• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 05:51:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 154
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 181
Total: 181

Happy Happy

Started by PaulineMi, January 29, 2014, 02:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

Last month I wasn't sure if I was going to have success with some health issues with a couple fish after a power outage.  I did lose a few tetras, an angel and a ram.  Finally things have turned out for the best....until last week.

My electric blue rams have been living with the discus in a 90 gallon tank.  I have never had luck with GBRs so I wasn't surprised when I lost two EBRs in the first month. The remaining four ended up in the 90 gallon with the discus so I thought all that room would prevent problems.  WRONG!  Spawning rams are mean little buggers. Three males and one female resulted in King Ram running off the other two males until one of the males turned dark and my attempts to save him were not successful.

On to the remaining bachelor ram.....King Ram decided his potential competion had to go too. I noticed the chasing around was causing the bachelor to turn dark.  I decided to move the bachelor to a little tank I set up in the family room.  He didn't look good and was further stressed by being in a new tank. Daily water changes (no meds this time) and offerings of tiny amounts of frozen bloodworms and freeze dried black worms soaked in garlic seemed to bring him around. Finally, today, the little guy came to the front of the tank when I approached to feed him.  He chowed down on the food and even swam to the top for some floating worms. 

Bachelor ram is still expressing some odd coloring.  However he looks so much better I'm thinking he'll be fine.  Now that makes me happy.   ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Nice....he was pretty stressed out wasn't he...?.....It's good to hear a success story ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Good news.  I know how stressful it can be when you have fish doing poorly.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Thanks.  The little ram will go in the tank with the Dantums when I get their new tank set up.  That will be a couple weeks from now so he should be in good shape by then.

Luckily all of the fish in the Dantum tank and wilds tank are fine, never having suffered any illness at all. Whew.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Barb

I agree, happy, happy for sure Pauline!  Good news to hear.  You are a good fish keeper!
Barb

b125killer

Good for you Pauline! Rams are finicky little fish. I swear some of mine have died from just looking at them. 
Scott

PaulineMi

Thanks Barb and Scott.

I agree Scott.  I'm a little nervous about moving this guy again due to their being so delicate. I'm going to try to slowly acclimate him to non -RO water. If he doesn't handle any part of the acclimation process well he may just end up living in the little tank on the shelf where he is now.   ;D

ilroost

I have tried rams a couple of time with no luck at all. I have given up on them. Glad all is well with yours pauline

shatanka

I am sorry you went through all of this with your fish, Pauline. I hope you didn't lose that beautiful male Pinoy paraiba that you had posted pics of that you got from Carol? I hope this little bachelor ram makes it. You gave him such pampered care, as you do all your fish! You're such a good fish mommy!  :)

PaulineMi

Thank you both.  Being such delicate little fish I am pleasantly surprised this ram is hanging in there and actually improving.

Shatanka....sadly the pinoy paraiba is the angel I lost.  It's so disappointing as that was the most beautiful fish I've ever owned.

shatanka

Oh no Pauline! I know how much you loved that fish ( I did too!) and how proud you were of him..and rightly so! He was absolutely gorgeous! It's sad when the ones we really get attached to go. I am so sorry.

I wonder if Carol has any others identical or similar to him for you to grow out again?

PaulineMi

That group of fish was/is gorgeous.  It was a splurge....$$.   And shipping from Florida to here is costly for one fish.  I may try breeding again later this year and can choose something special of my own.

There are still five "jewels" from Carol, the awesome Rio Negro/Sta Isabel angels from Jon, Peruvian crosses from Steve Rybicki and the albino Dantums here.  While I may always miss that stunning pinoy paraiba the remaining angels,  discus, rams and little danios are keeping me entertained.    ;D

PaulineMi

Went to feed the EBR this morning and he was dead.  Just laying on his back on the bottom of the tank.  Hopefully this is the last loss.......

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Dang, that sucks...sorry to hear that
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson