• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 12:38:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 333
Total: 334

Albino Corydoras aeneus

Started by BallAquatics, January 21, 2014, 12:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Well Jon called it.....

Quote from: Mugwump on December 19, 2013, 05:54:03 AM
You can count on that, Dennis...once the pods start to get going well, the fry will be there...

I've got about a dozen now that are quickly approaching .5 inches in length.  I though last night I'd better move them into a 20 long with some CPD's and get the breeders set-up again....  Too late, this morning I came out to find eggs all over the glass in the cory tank.  Oh well, I scraped them off into a small container that I'm floating in the main tank.  Added a bit of methyline blue because I had lots of eggs fungus with the last spawn.

Dennis

Mugwump

The fungus is usually the breakdown of unfertilized eggs. Be sure and check the mulm for early hatched fry....LOL...they get in there and eat that stuff....I've poofed that debris and had a dozen or more fly out... ;D...good luck with the new eggs. I just take the tank water, and put it in a 2 1/2 with a gently running air stone...not even a heater, then I'll do an aged water change of 40-50% every day.....a few days,or so, you'll start seeing them...micro worms do wonders for the fry too...then a powdered food with the worms....egg foo yung or egg foo duck, ground pellets, etc......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 21, 2014, 12:52:57 PM
Well Jon called it.....

Quote from: Mugwump on December 19, 2013, 05:54:03 AM
You can count on that, Dennis...once the pods start to get going well, the fry will be there...

I've got about a dozen now that are quickly approaching .5 inches in length.  I though last night I'd better move them into a 20 long with some CPD's and get the breeders set-up again....  Too late, this morning I came out to find eggs all over the glass in the cory tank.  Oh well, I scraped them off into a small container that I'm floating in the main tank.  Added a bit of methyline blue because I had lots of eggs fungus with the last spawn.

Dennis

I just re-read this......with spawns that close, you must have a few females going off at intervals....LOL...once they get in sync, you'll get bundles at a crack.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

shatanka

wow! Congrats on your spawn! But, I have to ask..what is your guys secret on getting your cories to spawn so readily and so often? I have about 12 of varied species ( Metae (I bought 4 but only 2 made the trip. I think I know why too and will explain in a sec) 4 Schwartzi, just bought 3 leucomelas, only 2 survived shipping as the shipper failed to put a heat pack in the box and boy it got cold :( , and Sterbai). I have had at least 12 cories in this tank for over a year..never had 1 spawning.
I read your "notes" on how you get them to breed Mug. The change in temp after water changes seems to be the key to set them off you mentioned. But even with this, I have not seen any spawn. Maybe I am not feeding enough high protein foods, blood worms etc?  They are in a community tank too with angels, would this matter? Should I put a group of 12 alone in a tank by themselves in order to get some to spawn?
Anyway, in regards to the Metae, I am wondering if they didn't make it here because I have read that cory's emit a "poison" when stressed. I have learned that some more experienced shippers put an activated charcoal  material in the bag when shipping to absorb this poisonous substance. Also another practice is to catch the fish, let them be in the bag for a bit to expel that poison from being frightened when caught, then to transfer them to another bag with clean water.  Wish these practices were adapted more and more well known.
more details here-
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=90914

ANYWAY CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK ON YOUR CORY SPAWING !!!  ;D

Mugwump

...I don't believe that all cory's will cross breed. ???....and yes, I have them separate, in pods of 12+....also, it's best to have at least two males per female, to keep up with her when she's spawning. I've had them spawn in occupied tanks too, but not as prolific....not as many eggs, etc....
Good food, good water, a nice cool water change...boomba...works most the time..crossing species is frowned upon tho....note below..

This is a post by Frank Falcone

"Be advised that cross-breeding Corys is not beneficial to the hobby and should not be intentionally pursued. Just because you CAN do something, does NOT mean that you should.

Serious Cory enthusiasts make every attempt to keep their Corys in species specific tanks, as space allows. - Frank
Jon

shatanka

Ok, I understand cross breeding of species is frowned upon...for a "cory breeder", and maybe they won't cross breed. But there are a few of each strain in there with the exception of the Metae. But, most importantly, even if different strains did cross breed in there, I am not a cory breeder, and that is ok with me . I just like the look of different varieties of the corydora in my tank. That is my personal preference. If I were to breed to sell, then yes, I most definitely would adapt this policy. But, they are just my fish in my tank...so no biggy to me. I am the only one that will see them! lol  :) I just think it would be nice to see some babies from the group.
OK too to your breeding methods. I guess then if I do choose to pursue breeding them I will  put them in their own aquarium.

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on January 30, 2014, 08:12:56 PM
I just re-read this......with spawns that close, you must have a few females going off at intervals....LOL...once they get in sync, you'll get bundles at a crack.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

No, just one female and 4 males.  They were sold as a 'breeding group' at the auction and I thought they were albino BN plecos or I wouldn't have bid on them.  It's one of those things where everything happens for a reason.....  I'm glad I've got them now.  Anyone who thinks cories are cute, should see a group of 1/2 inch baby cories chasing each other around the tank!

The female looks to be almost twice the size of the males, and feeding blood worms, shrimp pellets, earthworm pellets, and spirulina pellets she produces around 100 eggs every 2 weeks if I'm not very careful with the water changes.   ;D

Moved them into a BB 10 gallon yesterday and figure she will pop this weekend with just a bit of cool water encouragement.  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 31, 2014, 09:44:29 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on January 30, 2014, 08:12:56 PM

No, just one female and 4 males.  They were sold as a 'breeding group' at the auction and I thought they were albino BN plecos or I wouldn't have bid on them.  It's one of those things where everything happens for a reason.....  I'm glad I've got them now.  Anyone who thinks cories are cute, should see a group of 1/2 inch baby cories chasing each other around the tank!

The female looks to be almost twice the size of the males, and feeding blood worms, shrimp pellets, earthworm pellets, and spirulina pellets she produces around 100 eggs every 2 weeks if I'm not very careful with the water changes.   ;D

Moved them into a BB 10 gallon yesterday and figure she will pop this weekend with just a bit of cool water encouragement.  LOL

Dennis

Nice..she's an egg machine...LOL....likely takes all four just to keep up with her ;D
Jon

b125killer

congratulation on your spawn Dennis. 
Scott

BallAquatics

PaulineMi

Congratulations Dennis.  Is this your first cory spawning experience?  I'm still amazed at your success with otos. This has to be such an enjoyable experience.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

JR

Congratualtions Dennis. I have never had them cross breed. I had pandas that would spawn every time I drop the water temp. It took me forever for my albino's to spawn.  I have about got all my 20 longs set up for the corys to start to spawn again.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

20-30 longs are perfect too....especially the 20's....
Jon

BallAquatics

Thanks for the well wishes and encouragement folks.

Quote from: PaulineMi on February 01, 2014, 07:35:11 AM
Is this your first cory spawning experience?

Yes and no.....  this will be the 6th time this group has spawned since I purchased them, but they are the first cories I have every tried to spawn......  and all by accident.  It's funny how things work out sometimes.

Quote from: JR on February 01, 2014, 08:42:38 AM
I have never had them cross breed.

No worries here, I've only got the group of 5 albino's form the auction.

Dennis