• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 03:08:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 265
Total: 265

Otos are at it again.....

Started by BallAquatics, January 11, 2014, 11:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

I was checking the tanks this morning and found a new batch of Otocinclus fry searching for food.  Must be a couple days old at this point.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Great pic......LOL...their own little love nest ;D  How big is the tank?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on January 11, 2014, 11:42:03 AM
How big is the tank?

Just a ten gallon.  Anubias, water sprite, and some crypt wendtii in about 98% rain water.

Dennis

Mugwump

Remarkable.....a 'Garden of Eden'.....very nice...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

sschind

Have you bred and raised these before?  I stopped carrying them in my store because all the one I ever got from the wholesalers died in droves.  It seems like nothing mattered, I couldn't keep them alive.  I would assume the TR one would be much hardier.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

PaulineMi

Dennis is wonderfullly successful with these otos. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

ilroost

BillT

BallAquatics

Quote from: sschind on January 11, 2014, 12:16:31 PM
Have you bred and raised these before?

I'm just a year into this project and my $1 PetSmart Otos have been spawning since mid April of last year.

I still have a high mortality rate with the fry, but have 3 groups of fry now living with the original breeders.

Dennis

b125killer

Them are good pictures Dennis. I have a group of otos that I have tried to starve to death a few times. Mine don't eat anything but algae. How do you tell what sexs they are?
Scott

BallAquatics

Thanks Scott.  They are like cories with the girls being a bit larger than the boys.  LOL  They get really plump when fed good and full of eggs.

Dennis

b125killer

What do you feed them? The only thing I see them eat is algae.  I have tried different foods but they just don't seem that interested in anything I have. Mine cleaned a tank clear of algae and almost starved to death before I realized they weren't eating anything I was feeding them. I keep a close eye on the tank there in to make sure they got enough algae to eat and move them to new tanks when they clean the when there in now.
Scott

BallAquatics

Quote from: b125killer on January 12, 2014, 12:48:14 AM
What do you feed them?

Repashy gel, veggie wafers and sticks from Ken's.

They simply thrive on the Repashy Solient Green gel food.  Repashy now has Super Green which is completely vegetable matter that I hear is very good too.

They also do very well on Ken's vegetable wafers. http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/kens-premium-veggie-wafers.html  I've been using foods from Ken's for many years now and have had good success with them.

Dennis

Mugwump

Dennis, are these parent raised somehow??.....has anyone artificially raised them?
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on January 15, 2014, 06:14:27 AM
Dennis, are these parent raised somehow??.....has anyone artificially raised them?

No the parents pay them no attention.  One good thing is that since Otos are vegetarians, the parents don't try to eat the fry.

I've read about other hobbyists getting them to spawn, but it's just too much work for the farms to produce them commercially.  When you can buy wild caught at PetSmart for $1 each there's just no money in it.  I would imagine that there are hobbyists that would pay more for tank raised fish, but even then it would be very tough to show any profit.

Dennis