• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 07:12:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 269
Total: 269

Blue Danio (Danio kerri)

Started by BallAquatics, December 29, 2013, 02:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Well I've got my new camera, (new to me anyway), and thought I should get familiar with it.  It's very similar to my old one so it was an easy learning curve.

One of my favorite Danio is the Blue Danio (Danio kerri).  These guys used to be quite common in the hobby back in the day, but can be rather difficulty to track down now-a-days.

They have a very subtle beauty to them.  They are everything you could ask for in an aquarium fish.  They are very undemanding, very hardy, not particular about water parameters, very eager eaters, and they play well with others.

At least once a year I set my 5 year old breeders up to produce a batch of fry.  They are very prolific, and the fry practically raise them selves.

As they are not to be found at the local fish store, they are popular at the swaps and auctions around here.

Dennis

BillT

Nice shots Dennis.
I like it when you can count the fin rays and see individual pigment cells.

I have a tank of kerri that bred once for me recently. I am waiting for them to breed again so i can build my stock up.

BallAquatics

Thanks Bill.  I like the close-up shots too.  It lets me get a good look at the fish compared to them moving about the tank.

Quote from: BillT on December 29, 2013, 03:00:10 PM
I have a tank of kerri that bred once for me recently.

I'm assuming those are the ones we traded?

Dennis

BillT

QuoteI'm assuming those are the ones we traded?

I think so.

QuoteIt lets me get a good look at the fish compared to them moving about the tank.

I agree. There is a lot of detail that can not otherwise be appreciated. Also helps in IDing things.

Mugwump

Nice pic's, Dennis....the new camera looks like a keeper.....any advantages with this camera, versus the other one that you had...???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Thanks Jon.  I love taking photographs.....  perhaps that will be my New Years resolution, I'll take a few shots every day.  At one time I was very proficient with my 35mm, now that it costs virtually nothing to take digital images, I should practice more.

Quote from: Mugwump on December 29, 2013, 03:46:18 PM
.....any advantages with this camera, versus the other one that you had...???

It's got a slightly larger LCD screen, it has a much better light meter built-in, it has a "hot-shoe" for a flash unit in addition to the built-in flash.  Using a cable I'll be able to position the flash unit on top of the tank firing down into the water for better shots and less glare.  It also takes 8 mega pixel images as compared to 6 mega pixel images with the old camera.

$100 and change off of E-Bay with a 2 year warranty.  I'd really like to have a digital SLR, but I can't justify the $2500 it would cost to get what I want.

Dennis

BillT

QuoteI'd really like to have a digital SLR, but I can't justify the $2500 it would cost to get what I want.

Well it doesn't have to be that expensive.

I started with a bottom of the line Canon DSLR, which cost a few hundred $.
Than I got a good macro lens which cost a lot.
Got a better camera (T3I; for ~$700). I was planning on selling the old one but ended up giving it to my sister who had her camera stolen.

All together way less than $2000.
Now that the current model is T5i, something like a used T3i would go for about $300-400, which is a good deal.
The lenses are all interchangeable on these models.

BallAquatics

Quote from: BillT on December 29, 2013, 04:35:53 PM
Well it doesn't have to be that expensive.

When I make the leap to a DSLR, I would want a model with a full frame sensor like the 6D.

Dennis

b125killer

Them are some good pics. I like the blues in them.
Scott

BallAquatics

Owl307

those are really good pictures!!! i love the clarity!
With patience and perseverance anything can be accomplished.

BallAquatics

PaulineMi

Dennis those are great pictures of very pretty danios.  I also like to take random close up photos of various features on my fish.

BTW.....as you know I like "little" fish.  Your photos and descriptions of your danios are making me think real hard about doing some rearrangjng in my fishroom.  :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

Thank you Pauline.

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 30, 2013, 09:56:23 AM
Your photos and descriptions of your danios are making me think real hard about doing some rearrangjng in my fishroom.  :)

That's wonderful, I'm glad it's having the desired effect!   ;)

I believe when most hobbyists hear "Danio", they only think of Zebra Danio.  We are currently up to 21 recognized species of Danio, and that doesn't include any of the Devario, Danionella, Betadevario, Microdevario, Microrasbora, Esomus, Chela, or Sundadanio, (other members of the Danionins family).

Dennis