• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 11:55:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 122
Total: 122

Fingers crossed!

Started by DylanJkfish, December 24, 2013, 12:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DylanJkfish

I have some egg crate that I may use until my blue silver pair is sold. Once I have room this pair will be going to a 30 gallon.

Mugwump

Rhat'll help a bit...any fry will try to swim through the holes..but mom/dad will keep that under control.....like I mentioned before, their siblings are parent raising..there's a very good chance that those will also... ;D congrat's  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

DylanJkfish

Thanks Jon, really hoping they do haha parent raisers are sooo much easier :p

So far so good :D spawn is still there with only 6 white eggs. Should be wigglers today!!!

Mugwump

I like the raisers too...but because it's so fascinating to watch them....mesmerizing...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

DylanJkfish

I must agree!

Before the tanks were moved to the basemt me and my mom would watch them for ever!

DylanJkfish

First spawn with such a young pair and the eggs have hatched into wigglers. Out of the entire spawn maybe 12 eggs turned white. They are doing amazing so far!

Mugwump

ahem....LOL....that's good stock, Dylan....and you must be treating them right....good job...so far out of that same batch, I have 2-3 parent raisers.....one is darn close, but the others were raising on the first spawn...... ;D.....
Jon

DylanJkfish

Haha yes they sure are... They are truly magnificent Jon!!

DylanJkfish

Quick update!

They have moved the fry farther up the intake and still doing a great job. One wiggler died but they are persistant to get it to stick.

I was able to get their tank set up with a cultured aquaclear filter (sponge over intake). Pair will be moved most likely late Wednesday or sometime Thursday because the fry will be free swimming by then and i doubt they will make it very long.

Mugwump

LOL...I'll bet they're tending free swimmers, huh?....Having other fish in the tank makes them super prorective... ;D
Jon

DylanJkfish

Im currently tending to about 74 free swimmers. I had to remove them so i could clean the tank all the fish are in. I left around 30 with them which has since then dwendled to i think 18 as they try to free swim (do to the other fish and the filter)

Ive got a 30 gallon set up for the pair but parameters arent where they should be, but hoping a w/c will do some good.

Mugwump

Cool.....you're keeping the fry in a smaller tank, right? That keeps them in a tighter group and in closer proximately to the food. ........Good luck, raise em strong like bull...  ;D
Jon

DylanJkfish

Haha yep, ive got them in a 10 gallon and will be getting brine shrimp started really soon.

I will try to get ahold of my moms camera and get some pictures up late tomorrow or friday!

Mugwump

Sounds like a plan.....look around for a microworm culture in your area...they're handy and fry love em. The biggest plus is that the microworms live longer in the water than bbs..thus holding bacteria down a lot.
Jon

DylanJkfish

Used to have a large micro worm culture but forgot to change it and it died....