• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 09:17:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 327
Total: 327

Diamonds are a high pressure physicists best friend

Started by BillT, December 17, 2013, 03:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

Here is a link to a New York Times story I found interesting:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/science/the-big-squeeze.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20131217&_r=0
Its about what happens to things at high pressure and how they make them.

Reminds me of an Arthur C. Clarke story I read (one of the sequels to 2001). In the story the center of Jupiter was described as a giant diamond. Carbon crushed together by the high pressure.

Other interesting things things resulting from (way higher) high pressures:
Neutron stars: form when gravitational and other pressures (like exploding stars) exceed the ability of electrons to keep atomic nuclei separate.
Black holes: form when gravitational forces are too strong to allow light to escape.

PaulineMi

I haven't read the article yet but this is the first time I've been able to understand what a black hole is! The science shows I've watched have gone beyond my ability to comprehend them.

Thanks.   :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BillT

Glad you liked it Pauline.
I enjoy trying to explain science things to non-scientists.

The article does not mention black holes though.

PaulineMi

The article doesn't mention black holes but I read that peanut butter could be turned into a diamond under intense pressure.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 17, 2013, 06:15:47 PM
The article doesn't mention black holes but I read that peanut butter could be turned into a diamond under intense pressure.

I'll never look at my 'Jif' PBJ the same again.. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on December 17, 2013, 06:18:11 PM
Quote from: PaulineMi on December 17, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

I'll never look at my 'Jif' PBJ the same again.. ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote

There's lots of money hiding in that Jif.  Good article.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.