• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 10:11:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 127
Total: 128

New Pair!

Started by Owl307, December 17, 2013, 04:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owl307

It's official! Working on a koi line can commence! I have my first koi pair ^.^ they spawned either last night or sometime today at school :) If any of you remember what they look like Flame (veil-female) and Ember (veil-male) are the paired up. I'll have to post a vid. its a huge first spawn. i will let them keep their first few tries. i want then to parent raise :) well that and finals start tomorrow so i wont have time to care for fry...
With patience and perseverance anything can be accomplished.

LizStreithorst

I remember Ember.  I've forgotten Flame.  Pics of the pair and the spawn, please.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Congrat's, you're on your way now.....good luck...I see lots of water changes in your future ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Owl307

wsantia1

Very nice looking pair you have there.  Wish you much luck with them.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Owl307

the spawn survived the night with only 3  white eggs this morning! im impressed! the young fellow has managed not only to keep 3 other angels away in a corner but two large plecos as well!

Mugwump

Quote from: Owl307 on December 18, 2013, 06:13:22 AM
the spawn survived the night with only 3  white eggs this morning! im impressed! the young fellow has managed not only to keep 3 other angels away in a corner but two large plecos as well!

They need their own tank. Are you leaving the light on at night?...If not, they'll likely be gone soon...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Congratulations on the spawn. Good luck with them. They are some pretty angels.
Scott

Owl307

Quote from: Mugwump on December 18, 2013, 06:22:02 AM

They need their own tank. Are you leaving the light on at night?...If not, they'll likely be gone soon...

Yes the light is on. They wont be getting their own tank for a few spawns yet. I like to keep them with the others to build on their protectivness first. as long as no one is getting hurt. Just a theory. I also couldnt take this spawn with because of the placement on the filter tube. I dont have any extras of that sort to replace it with /:

PaulineMi

That's a pretty pair. I love Ember.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: Owl307 on December 18, 2013, 07:03:42 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 18, 2013, 06:22:02 AM

Good theory, Grasshopper, hopefully they'll bond well, I do that too......I hate it when they use the filter tube tho...ding dongs...LOL
do you have a sponge cover for the bottom of the tube??...if not, turn the filter off and add a extra sponge for a bit....I've had a few pairs actually raise a small batch of fry in a 75 gal 'pair off' tank... ;D good luck...
If you're near a JoAnn's.....get a piece of that 4" thick green sponge sheets that they sell...you can cut a sponge cover out of that and bore a hole in it to slip over the tube bottom too....I make ours with that sponge..works well too.

Yes the light is on. They wont be getting their own tank for a few spawns yet. I like to keep them with the others to build on their protectivness first. as long as no one is getting hurt. Just a theory. I also couldnt take this spawn with because of the placement on the filter tube. I dont have any extras of that sort to replace it with /:
Jon

Owl307

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 18, 2013, 07:31:52 AM
That's a pretty pair. I love Ember.
Quote from: wsantia1 on December 17, 2013, 08:23:35 PM
Very nice looking pair you have there.  Wish you much luck with them.
Quote from: b125killer on December 18, 2013, 06:29:48 AM
Congratulations on the spawn. Good luck with them. They are some pretty angels.

Haha Jon I get all my smarts from you :) yea Im pretty sure I can snag an extra sponge feom somewhere.. I dont really Think they will raise on the first try, at least thats never happened to me yet. If they do I will be absolutely amazed. Ember is a small and young lil one so i was really surprised to only find 3 infertile this morning! Im sure her is quite proud lol. he hasnt quite got the fanning the eggs part down, he ends up wiggling his whole body!!! haha so most of the fanning is left to Flame.

Mugwump

Some pairs really make you wonder if they'll ever get it right....but then, they just do.. :D
Jon

Owl307

well i have some disapointing news. They made it to wigglers but were eaten as soon as they were hatching. i knew it would happen lol. oh well now that i have a pair im all good :)

Mugwump

Quote from: Owl307 on December 19, 2013, 06:21:03 AM
well i have some disapointing news. They made it to wigglers but were eaten as soon as they were hatching. i knew it would happen lol. oh well now that i have a pair im all good :)

That's too bad, even though we knew the odds were against them...but, now you can move them and let them bond some more.....begin feeding good high protein foods to bulk them up for the next time. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon