• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 11:31:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 386
Total: 387

NIU , Dekalb, Illinois

Started by Mugwump, December 10, 2013, 08:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

What a football player.  Being in the Mid-America Conference, he was over looked by many nationally. Folks this guy can play..fast, built like a linebacker, and an arm like a cannon..he's the real deal.

By Shannon Ryan Tribune reporter

9:00 p.m. CST, December 9, 2013

Northern Illinois quarterback Jordan Lynch is considered a Heisman Trophy long shot.

But he's not going to New York to be an also-ran.

"I'm going there to win," he told the Tribune Monday after he was announced as one of six candidates. "I don't like to lose. If I don't win, it'll be a great experience being around the other candidates and past winners."

Florida State QB Jameis Winston is the front-runner. The other finalists are Alabama QB AJ McCarron, Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel, Boston College running back Andre Williams and Auburn RB Tre Mason. The winner will be announced Saturday at a ceremony in New York. Manziel won last year.

Lynch is just the third player from the Mid-American Conference to be named a finalist along with Randy Moss (1997) and Chad Pennington (1999), both from Marshall.

Lynch could make history without winning. Since the BCS was formed in 1998, a non-BCS player has never finished higher than third, when Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan finished third in 2007. The last non-BCS winner to take home the trophy was BYU's Ty Detmer in 1990.

Lynch knew to even be a finalist he would need to record astronomical statistics and lead a team to a near-perfect record. NIU is 12-1.

"I wouldn't be here if we didn't win games," he said. "Your stats have to be ridiculous (to be considered from the MAC)."

Lynch ranks fourth nationally in total offense (351.0 yards per game) and is second in both rushing yards (1,881) and points responsible for (276). He is only the fifth player in NCAA history to have 20 rushing and 20 passing touchdowns in a season, and he twice set the FBS QB single-game rushing mark, most recently with 321 yards vs. Western Michigan.

"This is a great honor for him and it recognizes the great career he has had," NIU coach Rod Carey said in a statement. "It is so well-deserved that he gets to go to New York."
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson