• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 09:26:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 245
Total: 246

Quarantine meds?

Started by Jdmcfast, October 27, 2012, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: Jdmcfast on February 04, 2013, 08:42:25 PM
Quote from: Frank The Plumber on January 10, 2013, 03:14:26 PM
I have the war chest. Metro in flake and powder. Levamisole, Fenbendzole, Dylox, HP, Prazinquantel, Kanamycin, Oxytetracycline, Tri Sulfa, Tetracycline, Clove oil, PP, muriatic acid and a bunch of other stuff. I worm and treat for hex 3 times per year.
Frank what do you use for a dewormer?

Fenbendzole, I'd bet.....let's see... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

Is that the pig dewormer from Farm & Fleet?

Jdmcfast

Quote from: Rjb3 on February 04, 2013, 09:07:57 PM
Is that the pig dewormer from Farm & Fleet?
Yes that is more like what I was really asking I know fenbendazole is used in bird dewormer too. But I'm interested in what people use and where they get it from
Josh

Mugwump

Steve at 'Angelsplus' has the medicated flake too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Frank The Plumber

I go after the stuff that I can not see. In the past all of my problems were from protozoans nematodes and parasitic worms. For protozoans the QT consists of 90F and metro flake for the prescribed treatment. Just the 90F will chase out the protozoans but I feel that the metro hunts them out of the flesh. A 5 or 6 day purge period in which to flush the metro from the tank, and fish flesh, during this time I feed Tetra min.Very important to do the purge, if you mix this junk you can really mess up your fish, turn them into spinning dying messes. If you can go longer on thepurge...do it.  Then a feeding of fenbendazole flake for the required period and the purge period of tetra flake for another 5 or 6 days. Then the Levamisole flake wormer #3, this is for the evil camallanus of which there is now a very resistant variant that is a hard SOB to kill. I do the treatment on the camallanus and then wait and redose. Then you watch your fishes a hole for that stinking little red murder who hooks into the intestinal tract and sucks blood from the fish until a secondary infection results which causes bloating and death, I hate these suckers bad. This requires 6 to 8 weeks. You also want to watch for myco bacteriosis. This wonderful crap if it gets in your room gets you sick as well, it is uncurable on the fish and you get to have some great fun at the Doctors too, and into the toilet all of your stock must go as you will spread it to everything you have by water changing equipment. So 6 to 8 weeks and the war chest. If Sweet baby Jesus appeared before me and crafted a fish in his own glorious hands by an act of a faith based miracle and presented it unto me...I would still QT that sweet little Baby Jesus fish.

Best way to keep your friends....QT anything they ever give you. He who is ever PO'ed at anyone else over ever getting any type of a fish disease in his room can only ever blame himself.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

BillT

What Frank said about mycobacteriosis is right.
Mycobacteriosis is widespread among zebrafish labs and fish farms. It can often be in an undiagnosed chronic condition and in that way may not cause problems (for zebrafish anyway). It can be become more problematic if the fish get stressed (like most diseases I guess). It is thought to be transmittable to freshly laid eggs from the parents.

People can get it from cuts in the skin in contact with infected water. Takes months of nasty antibiotics to get rid of.