• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 03:46:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 231
Total: 231

Quarantine meds?

Started by Jdmcfast, October 27, 2012, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

With my recent scare I'm interested in opinions on some general precautionary meds to run through my quarantine fish. Does anybody do this and if so what do you use?

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

Mugwump

here's some reference sites

http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/diseases.html

http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatment/over-the-counter-fish-medicines.html

it all depends on what you'll think you'll need...
lots of folks keep Acriflavim, Potassium Permanganate, metronidazole, kanamycin sulfate , etc...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I don't keep much on hand.  I have some nitrofurazone because I ordered way too much last time I needed it.  Mostly I just keep PP, and it's not really a med.

The most important thing is to be sure of who you buy your fish from.  Ask the supplier how they were cleaned up.  A good supplier will tell you.  A good supplier won't want to risk loosing his reputation over a dodgy sale.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jdmcfast

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 27, 2012, 07:09:11 PM
I don't keep much on hand.  I have some nitrofurazone because I ordered way too much last time I needed it.  Mostly I just keep PP, and it's not really a med.

The most important thing is to be sure of who you buy your fish from.  Ask the supplier how they were cleaned up.  A good supplier will tell you.  A good supplier won't want to risk loosing his reputation over a dodgy sale.

I agree but unfortunately even if you do ask they are all honest. So have recently learned. Plus like with the auction fish
I got today I didn't get the chance to talk to them
Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

Mugwump

Jusr keep them isolated and change lots of water.....and watch.....you can't treat what you don't know...precautionary drugs like PP can be used tho,,or kanamycin sulfate for bacteria and infections....??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Jdmcfast on October 27, 2012, 08:12:11 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 27, 2012, 07:09:11 PM

I agree but unfortunately even if you do ask they are all honest. So have recently learned. Plus like with the auction fish
I got today I didn't get the chance to talk to them
Posted using tapatalk 2

The trick is in knowing the good suppliers from the bad ones and in being selective who you buy from.  Even then you need to QT and watch the fish.  If something is wrong the fish will tell you.  My rule of thumb is that a skinny fish that eats with gusto has worms.  A fish that picks food up then spits it out, or has white poo has hex.  The introduction of a sacrificial lamb is importent because the new fish may carry something and be immune to it that the existing fish have never delt with and get sick from.

PaulineMi

While this is an older thread it brings up a couple of questions in my mind.....

How long to you QT?  I do 4-6 weeks but wonder if it needs to be that long even if everything looks fine.

Is medicating new fish as a preventative procedure of any value? I've depended on water changes and observation. However I have read plenty of posts where people treat tanks with a variety of different meds "just in case". I'm not comfortable with using meds without seeing some kinds of symtoms but am interested in more opinions.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 10, 2013, 08:18:10 AM
While this is an older thread it brings up a couple of questions in my mind.....

How long to you QT?  I do 4-6 weeks but wonder if it needs to be that long even if everything looks fine.

Is medicating new fish as a preventative procedure of any value? I've depended on water changes and observation. However I have read plenty of posts where people treat tanks with a variety of different meds "just in case". I'm not comfortable with using meds without seeing some kinds of symtoms but am interested in more opinions.

Myself, I'll QT for a week or two, then use the 'sacrificial lamb' approach. I'm not big on med's either and only keep a few. My fish have never had problems and if I see an ill one, I'll generally QT it and if no improvement with temp adhjustment, and lots of fresh water...I'll cull it. period. if it's immune system is that weak, I don't want to keep/breed/sell it. Hence, all the stock is healthy and thriving and I want to keep it that way. I'm a bit anal about that....LOL..choosy and careful.
   Most folks that pretreat are dealing with imports...however, some just do it because they can...or are leary of a seller....
Jon

Frank The Plumber

I have the war chest. Metro in flake and powder. Levamisole, Fenbendzole, Dylox, HP, Prazinquantel, Kanamycin, Oxytetracycline, Tri Sulfa, Tetracycline, Clove oil, PP, muriatic acid and a bunch of other stuff. I worm and treat for hex 3 times per year.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mir

I also don't use meds unless necessary. But if something looks 'fishy' (lol) with a QT, I just do heat/salt and melafix. Sometimes MG... I don't like really strong antibiotics unless they're actually really sick. To me it's just too expensive to treat new fish when they don't act sick, and if you then stop using antibiotics once you 'think' they are better the bacteria etc is just gonna get resistant and harder to treat again.

But I don't cull non breeding/ unhealthy fish. :( I just separate them from the others.
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

LizStreithorst

PaulineMi

Thanks for the input.  I appreciate it.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Frank The Plumber

Yeah I forgot, I have the mela fix and pima fix too.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on January 10, 2013, 06:07:06 PM
Yeah I forgot, I have the mela fix and pima fix too.

LOL..a regular medical center....zounds... ;D..I have some Metro, med-flakes,etc...that's about it. If I was getting fish from an importer, or breeder/broker, I'd have PP, de wormers, etc...as a precautionary treatment.
Jon

Jdmcfast

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on January 10, 2013, 03:14:26 PM
I have the war chest. Metro in flake and powder. Levamisole, Fenbendzole, Dylox, HP, Prazinquantel, Kanamycin, Oxytetracycline, Tri Sulfa, Tetracycline, Clove oil, PP, muriatic acid and a bunch of other stuff. I worm and treat for hex 3 times per year.
Frank what do you use for a dewormer?
Josh