• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 02:15:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 204
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 254
Total: 254

Ode to the breeding gods

Started by P4Angels, October 27, 2012, 05:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P4Angels

Lori and I where out running around doing our Saturday routine.  ::)  Had to go over to a local pet store to pick up some special dog food for our 2 Little monsters/fur babies (dachshunds - Daisy and Bud Bud).  Bridges Pet in Snohomish, WA (that's for you Ron). Went in did our normal walk around and yes into the fish room.   Looked around to see if there was anything cool and I happened to stop, mind you just for 5 min at one of there angel tanks.  I'm standing there looking at the condition of their so called "BLUE ANGLES". Amazed that they would even try to sell them in such a ratty looking condition.  Missing ventricular, torn up dorsal fins, and skinny.  Was about to leave in disgust. (Okay Okay, back to the story)  When I noticed out of the corner of my eye a Sunset Blusher Pearl Sale picking at the lift tube of the under gravel system. I'm standing there in amazement and or in awe of this sight. This little female fully extended. Almost like I had never seen it before (never in a fish store keep in mind)  :o.  I was thinking to my self Hu, I wonder which one of you is the daddy, low and behold I see a Gold Pearl Scale male pushing all the other inhabitable away.  One of the clerks walked by and I stated to her that there was a pair of angels about to breed in there tanks.  She looked at me as if I where from some other planet.  Then stated, "That it happens all the time".  I must have been still in shock.  :-\ :o :-\ :o  I think my mouth hit the floor (THUD!).   Then I called Lori over and asked, "do you see this?????" :o :-\ ;D   We looked at one another like "  ;D WOW!!!  ;D ".   Need less to say I could not pass on another pair of breeders for $30.00.  8)

Lori and I would love to thank Jon for the Title of "BREEDING  GODS!!" - Now extending our voodoo to pet stores.
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

LOL.......love it.....did ya get em home and spawn em??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

OH YES!!!!  (Not sure if they have done it before and no one noticed) nice little clutch for them right now.   They are not tending to them so.  Who know's update more as they progress.
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

b125killer

Good find I have seen the ratty looking angels at the LFS. For some reason after learning a little about angels the ones at the store just don't look pretty anymore. I haven't got a fish from the store after I found out that there are wonderful people out there that care for the fish they breed. 
Scott

P4Angels

Ron Sower

Yes, Aron.  Linda and I'll have to make a northerly run with you and Lori one Sat or Sun soon and see the LFS's up there.  I especially want to see Conway.  Then we can do a southerly run together sometime. 

Touching on what b125Killer wrote...  After I rejoined the hobby in Feb, 2011, I gathered plants and fish from GSAS members.  Then I bought some rummynoses from a respected LFS in the area and didn't quarantine them.  Our beautiful Amazonian tank crashed!  Lesson learned...quarantine, quarantine, quarantine!  I know this is not new information to all you guys and gals on here.

So what I've been doing now, since I have only a little space for tanks and I want them all to be show tanks, is I get close to one or two store people, especially if they are club members, and find out how long the fish I'm interested in have been in their tanks and if there been any outbreaks of disease.  Some have even quarantined new fish for me.  I also try to make frequent visits the same shops as regularly as I can to check on tank conditions and new livestock.  I'm learning that they will make sure I get healthy stock.

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

b125killer

Nice angels that is a good deal.
I do go to one LFS to get supplies and what not And there is a couple people there I like. One person does know his stuff but he's keeps mostly marine fish at his home. He propagates his own coral for the store.
As far as quarantine tanks I had to learn the hard way too. even after knowing the importance of it. It may not be new info but it is worth repeating. I don't quarantine fish from People I trust like Jon. I have seen first hand his fish room and most of my angels I got from him I have seen as young fry.
Scott

Jo

Know I'm late but very pretty angelfish! Good find!
Jo