• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 06:15:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 184
Total: 185

Cold water change...

Started by Mugwump, December 04, 2013, 02:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

They are tiny, aren't they?...that's why I tell folks don't suck out all the mulm unless you check it real well, before and after....I cleaned the 2 1/2 and we found about 6 little ones in the small pail that I was using......and I was using a rigid tube w/air line.

great vid, Dennis....what are you feeding?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on December 13, 2013, 05:51:38 AM
....what are you feeding?

I'll probably go with my standard green water, golden pearls, monia, bbs, daphnia schedule.  They will likely start foraging today.

The tank has some rather course gravel that has a bounty of micro-fauna living there.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 13, 2013, 09:00:00 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 13, 2013, 05:51:38 AM
....what are you feeding?

I'll probably go with my standard green water, golden pearls, monia, bbs, daphnia schedule.  They will likely start foraging today.

The tank has some rather course gravel that has a bounty of micro-fauna living there.

Dennis

Excellent....I have bbs, micro worms, golden pearls, and egg foo yung,etc....even a crushed algae tab, on occasion too...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Well the troops were out in force today.

My poor camera is dying a slow death.  Every time I turn it on anymore it gives me a lens error message and I have to work with it for about 15 minutes to get it to start.  Sounds like I may be camera shopping soon.

Dennis

b125killer

They are cool pics Dennis. I have been thinking about new a camera.  I just don't know what I want.
Scott

BillT

Decide how much you want to spend and what you want to use it for first.
Then decide if you want something simple to use or if you want to mess around a lot with the settings.

This will narrow things down a lot.

Two places around here to go and check out cameras in person are Best Buy and Shutterbug.

PaulineMi

Your photos and video are incredible Dennis.  Those kinds of shots bring a whole new appreciation for what's occurring in our tanks.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 14, 2013, 01:22:30 PM
Your photos and video are incredible Dennis.  Those kinds of shots bring a whole new appreciation for what's occurring in our tanks.

Yes they do....and some folks just have no idea..
Jon

BallAquatics

Thanks folks.  Taking photos of these tiny creatures is just another enjoyable facet of the hobby.  Back when I could see good, and kept BIG fish, I never bothered with taking photos.  I think it was the delicate little dwarf shrimp that really got me interested.

My new, used camera, should be here next Thursday.  I got a great deal on the big brother to the model I currently own.  It's got a few more mega-pixels and a hot-shoe for a remote flash.  Other than that, it's pretty much the same as what I'm used to.

When I started looking, I noticed that many of the new cameras use a special rechargeable battery.  I wanted something that will use my AA rechargeable batteries.

Dennis

Mugwump

Mine, tho not 'state of the art'..has a small charging station for the small/flat battery...it's great...but my Kodak used the AA rechargeable battery....it was nice too....

What make/model did are you getting???
Jon

BallAquatics

It's another Cannon, the model S5 IS.  It is a point-and-shoot camera when set to "auto", but you can also adjust everything manually, (F-stop, ISO, shutter speed, etc).  It has macro and super macro setting that will allow you to focus down to 0 distance from the lens.  Basically, it's just like my failing camera, except the top-of-the-line model.  More mega-pixels & the remote flash capability.

The feature it has that I'm really excited about is the fact that it has a hot-shoe like an SLR type camera.  Using this I can attach a remote flash unit and with a bit of luck start capturing some cool shots of fast moving Danios.   ;D ;D ;D

I have quite a few very nice rechargeable AA batteries and charger that I use in my IT work, so I'd really like to get double duty from them rather than investing in yet another battery type.

Just in time for Christmas shots of the grand kids too.   ;)

Dennis

Mugwump

Nice...on 'auto' is the shutter speed fast enough to catch the fast movers??...
Jon

BallAquatics

Most of the time.  This is where putting the flash on top of the tank firing down into the water will come in handy...  no more glare from the glass reflecting the built-in flash.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 14, 2013, 08:11:49 PM
Most of the time.  This is where putting the flash on top of the tank firing down into the water will come in handy...  no more glare from the glass reflecting the built-in flash.

Dennis

Ah, most excellent...thanks..
Jon

Mugwump

I'll try for some pics tomorrow, the little fry are scooting around like crazy....how are yours doing Dennis...get any count yet? and....do you have Albinos in there?...
Jon