• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 09:20:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 360
Total: 360

125 new home...

Started by Mugwump, November 30, 2013, 04:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Cool.  Jon, what type of silicon are you using that you can fill it with water so quickly?

Dennis

b125killer

Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 02, 2013, 02:25:14 PM
Cool.  Jon, what type of silicon are you using that you can fill it with water so quickly?

Dennis

Loctite Clear silicone sealant (Lowe's)...hardly any smell...sets in 30-40mins..Cures in 24 hr max. dependent on temp and amount/thickness used...I pushed a bead into the corner gap late yesterday afternoon...by mid morning it was perfect. when caulking, I've found no need to really glop it on...a decent good bead will do it...a lot of folks use way too much...

It says on the pkg label 'aqarium' safe
http://www.epinions.com/specs/loctite-908570-2-7-ounce-tube-clear-silicone-waterproof-sealant
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

ok..just checked....Ammonia '0', nitrites '0', nitrates '0'...PH 7.2-7.3...water sparkling......I'll check again in the morning....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Very nice looking tank Jon.  I didn't you had room for something else. ;D Looks like you found the perfect spot for it. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BillT

Yes, a really nice fit for it.

Mugwump

Thanks guys, you should see where I had to move all the stuff that was there before....LOL...some went to the trash guy. ;D

ps..there's always room for one more if you finagle it....LOL
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on December 02, 2013, 04:30:40 PM
Quote from: BallAquatics on December 02, 2013, 02:25:14 PM

Dennis

Loctite Clear silicone sealant (Lowe's)...hardly any smell...sets in 30-40mins..Cures in 24 hr max. dependent on temp and amount/thickness used...I pushed a bead into the corner gap late yesterday afternoon...by mid morning it was perfect. when caulking, I've found no need to really glop it on...a decent good bead will do it...a lot of folks use way too much...

It says on the pkg label 'aqarium' safe

http://www.epinions.com/specs/loctite-908570-2-7-ounce-tube-clear-silicone-waterproof-sealant

Ive never heard of it.  I've always been told that GE Silicone I was the best thing to use.  The Lcctite stuff sounds better.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

I've used the DAP from Lowes with good luck before.  My tube of GE says tack free in 30 minutes, water exposure 12 hours, full cure 24 hours.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 02, 2013, 06:22:05 PM
I've used the DAP from Lowes with good luck before.  My tube of GE says tack free in 30 minutes, water exposure 12 hours, full cure 24 hours.

Dennis

yep, pretty much the same type product...different manufacturer..I read somewhere that the Loctite has a higher tensile strength....folks ,also, use it for tank building..
Jon

BallAquatics

Yea, I think among the brands, it's pretty much all the same stuff.  There is Type I & Type II.  Type I cures faster and is aquarium safe.  Type II takes longer to cure and has an anti-mildew agent in it that you do not want in your aquarium.

Dennis

Mugwump

It popped clear over night..parameters perfect.... ;D

Jon

b125killer

Look ready for some fish. ;D
Scott

Barb

Wow Jon,  way to set up a tank!!  Good luck with it, looks great so far,
Barb

Mugwump

Temp is 81 deg's....yep it's ready  ;D.   but first I need to get a bit of gravel and sand in there, and a few pieces of rock...and maybe a few planted pots.... ;D

Quote from: Barb on December 03, 2013, 08:14:52 AM
Wow Jon,  way to set up a tank!!  Good luck with it, looks great so far,
Barb

Thanks Pauline...smaller tanks are a snap..but large ones, I like to take an extra day or two to make sure...this tank went smoothly  ;D
Jon