• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 05:31:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 176
Total: 176

Oryzias woworae - Ricefish

Started by BallAquatics, November 28, 2013, 10:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Back in the spring, I picked up a bag of these fish at our club swap meet.  I hadn't really done anything with them until a couple of weeks ago.  I started loading them up on live Moina, added some floating horn wort to their tank and stepped up their water changes.

While I was changing some water this afternoon I noticed a female carrying eggs.    ;D ;D ;D

All the other girls are plump and should have eggs any day now.  They are pretty cool little fish.  Sort of small and delicate.  They would be great in a desktop nano tank.

Dennis

Mugwump

Pretty...those are Neon family aren't they?????...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on November 29, 2013, 04:07:20 AM

I have seen them called Neon Ricefish before, but they are not related to Neon tetras if that's what you mean.  These fish are native to the island of Sulawesi in Indonesia.  http://www.asihcopeiaonline.org/doi/abs/10.1643/CI-09-108

Thanks Willie, it was a very pleasant surprise to find them carrying eggs.   ;)

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 29, 2013, 07:31:14 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on November 29, 2013, 04:07:20 AM

I have seen them called Neon Ricefish before, but they are not related to Neon tetras if that's what you mean.  These fish are native to the island of Sulawesi in Indonesia.  http://www.asihcopeiaonline.org/doi/abs/10.1643/CI-09-108

Thanks Willie, it was a very pleasant surprise to find them carrying eggs.   ;)

Dennis

Thanks, that's likely what I've seen somewhere too...??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

sschind

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 28, 2013, 10:14:13 PM
Back in the spring, I picked up a bag of these fish at our club swap meet.  I hadn't really done anything with them until a couple of weeks ago.  I started loading them up on live Moina, added some floating horn wort to their tank and stepped up their water changes.

While I was changing some water this afternoon I noticed a female carrying eggs.    ;D ;D ;D

All the other girls are plump and should have eggs any day now.  They are pretty cool little fish.  Sort of small and delicate.  They would be great in a desktop nano tank.

Dennis

If I am not mistaken those little buggers were about $8.00 a piece on my wholesale list a couple of year back when they first hit.  Pretty but expensive.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

b125killer

There neat Dennis. Do they carry there eggs until they hatch?
Scott

BallAquatics

No they will brush them off onto some plants and then have more in a day or two.  They have only been in the hobby for the past 3 years so there's not a whole lot known about them.  It is believed that the eggs are fertilized internally and remain there for a while before exiting the female and then being attached to plants.  From what I've read it takes from 1 to 3 weeks for the eggs to hatch.

Dennis

BillT

Cool fish. I like the name, Wow!-orae.

Ron Sower

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 29, 2013, 04:06:53 PM
No they will brush them off onto some plants and then have more in a day or two.  They have only been in the hobby for the past 3 years so there's not a whole lot known about them.  It is believed that the eggs are fertilized internally and remain there for a while before exiting the female and then being attached to plants.  From what I've read it takes from 1 to 3 weeks for the eggs to hatch.

Dennis

The 1-3 weeks works for me.  That's the way I noticed the fry appearing last summer.

I'm trying to figure out how they could have internal fertilization...there's no gonopodium on the males.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 29, 2013, 11:07:37 PM
I'm trying to figure out how they could have internal fertilization...there's no gonopodium on the males.

Not sure where I read that.....  Seriously Fish says, "The adhesive eggs are typically expelled as a single mass and fertilized simultaneously.....", so maybe they are not fertilized internally.  I haven't noticed the males paying special attention to the females carrying eggs.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/oryzias-woworae/

Dennis

BillT

The research medaka (Oryzias latipes) is fertilized externally.
It is the Japanese equivalent of the zebrafish for research purposes.
External fertilization is very handy for research purposes.