• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 06:21:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 231
Total: 231

More Sick Angels!

Started by b125killer, November 28, 2013, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

Thanks guys, I have been doing big water changes on there tank. It just sucks that I had a few good pairs in there. I still think it strange that the rams don't seem to be affected by any of this. I was thinking that if anything was wrong with the water quality that the rams would die first. I thought that's why discus people like rams.     
Scott

BallAquatics

Sorry they didn't pull through Scott.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I'm so sorry, Scott. I can't figure out about the Rams either.  They are the canieries in the coal mine.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

So sorry to hear that you lost them.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Barb

You know Scott, putting all the info. together, Rams not affected, angels dying rather fast, I still think it is a virus that the angels are susceptible to but not the other fish, they have some sort of immunity.   Possible that some other new fish brought into another tank carried the virus, even though it didn't affect that fish.  Viruses are nasty.  And they can travel through the air.
Barb

b125killer

Today I did a 90% water change. I'm sure the water company is going to loving me this month. The water parameters are the same. Ammonia is still high. I'm hoping it will go down soon. I didn't lose anyone last night. one of the angels actually looks a little better. She came up and eat a little bit too. The rest still look bad. It wouldn't surprise me if I lost a few more.       
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on December 04, 2013, 08:34:18 AM
Today I did a 90% water change. I'm sure the water company is going to loving me this month. The water parameters are the same. Ammonia is still high. I'm hoping it will go down soon. I didn't lose anyone last night. one of the angels actually looks a little better. She came up and eat a little bit too. The rest still look bad. It wouldn't surprise me if I lost a few more.     

Try throwing away the filter media, then replacing it with old/used/seeded media from another tank...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Not sure about the details of whats going on with your tank and fish, but if your fish can handle it you might want to reduce or stop feeding them. Ammonia starts coming out of fish after they are fed and continues for only a few hours. Healthy fish can easily last several days without food.

Bacterial metabolism will also produce ammonia from processing of old uneaten food and feces. If the tank is clean this should not be a problem. If you filter is harboring a lot of sludge you might want to changeout or replace it. I like Jon's idea of replacing your current filter with a mature one from another source.

Another option would be to use an ammonia bindings material like chlorAmX, zeolite, or an nitrogen compound binding resin. These would physically remove the ammonia compounds from the water but would not affect their production.

b125killer

More water changes done. I think I might of changed enough water out of that tank to fill a small lake up. The parameters are a little better too. It's still showing about .25ppm ammonia but at least it's going down a bit. I also put in a seeded sponge to help out. Maybe tomorrow the ammonia will be undetectable. On a sadder note I did lose another angel. For some reason they just don't seem to want to go without my help. I seen her laying on her side at the bottom barely breathing. I hate it when I have to finish the job. :( 
Scott

Mugwump

Sad Scott..it looks like you're getting an indoctrination into the dark side of fish keeping....it has hit us all some place along the road...but we learn from it, and it reminds us to be vigilant and adapt our techniques for the better.....because we sure don't want it to happen again. 
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Not much change today. I'm going to do another 90% water change later. I just don't have the energy this morning to deal with that big of a water change. another one of the angels is looking a little better too. I still have two angels that don't look that great. But that don't seem to be getting worse. I'm thinking about getting some zeolite. This ammonia spike is driving me crazy.
Scott

Mugwump

It's trying very hard to cycle...that's a sand bottom tank too, right....when's the last time that you cleaned/stirred it up?...you might have a bacteria pocket in a corner or under something that doesn't get moved often??....but seems like the water changes are helping...is the ammonia reading still dropping?
Jon

b125killer

It's been a while since I have stirred it up that great. The sailfin pleco and clown loaches constantly dig in the sand. They do a decent job but there are spots they couldn't get into. I'll do it when i get the water change done.  Yea the ammonia is a little lower but not much. I can still see the color change in the testing. it's getting fainter but still there. That's part of the reason I wanted to get the zeolite or something to that affect.   
Scott

Barb

Scott, are you using Safe or Prime to dechlor. the new water you are using?  If so, that will give you a positive ammonia reading.  You may not have ammonia at all, just a false positive with the dechlor.
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on December 06, 2013, 08:43:33 AM
Scott, are you using Safe or Prime to dechlor. the new water you are using?  If so, that will give you a positive ammonia reading.  You may not have ammonia at all, just a false positive with the dechlor.
Barb

Good thought Barb....I know the API test kits do that with Prime/Safe....
Jon