• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 01:03:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 369
Total: 369

Cherry Shrimp.....

Started by BallAquatics, November 22, 2013, 07:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

I've been chatting with a young fellow over on the TFH forum about raising some Red Cherry shrimp and it lead to me dragging out some of my old photos.

Long story short, about 10 years ago I got some Red Cherry shrimp in some java moss I bought on E-Bay.  They weren't anything special and for about 6 months I just had them in a plastic shoe box by the window sill in the fish room.  I wasn't really sure I even wanted to fool around with them.

Well eventually I set them up in a 10 gallon with some moss and a sponge filter.  With selective breeding I got them to be very red.

They were very easy to keep and in big demand so I started selling them on E-Bay.  They reproduced like rabbits and I kept working with them to get better color.

I was hoping to get a rich deep red burgundy colored shrimp.  I had just about gotten there and I switched gears and stopped keeping shrimp.  Looking at these old photos brought back some fond memories.

Dennis

Mugwump

They are interesting little creatures....what did you feed them?...anything special?....how many to an average spawn??...what fry food is best?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Those were nice looking shrimp. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

Thanks Willie.

Quote from: Mugwump on November 22, 2013, 07:56:15 PM
...what did you feed them?...anything special?....how many to an average spawn??...what fry food is best?....
I fed them very little actually.  They get much of their food by grazing on bio-film growing inside the tank.  For that reason, they do much better in and established aquarium rather than a new set-up.  When I did feed them, they got algae wafers, veggie sticks, and sometimes plain old flake fish food.  You have to be very careful to not over feed them as they don't require much at all. 

A mature female would drop 25+ baby shrimp.  They get what's called a saddle just before they molt and spawn.  It looks like this.....

Once they molt, they carry the eggs under their tail so it's easy to tell how many females you have they are going to produce young.

I never found it necessary to feed the fry anything different from the adults.  The sponge filter was one of their favorite feeding places as it has an abundance of bio-film growing there.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Thanks, Dennis....good explanation.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

You sure do have a touch with all things aquatic Dennis.  Nice.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BillT

Nice little shrimps Dennis.
I used to collect crayfish when I was a kid. They are very similar to crayfish (both are decapod crustaceans).

BallAquatics

Thank you Pauline.  I have been blessed with good fortune in my aquatic adventures over the years.   ;)

Quote from: BillT on November 22, 2013, 09:22:30 PM
I used to collect crayfish when I was a kid.

Same here Bill.  I can't imagine how many hours I spent in the creeks and farm ponds around my childhood home.  I generally tell people I've been keeping fish since I was 8 years old in 1965, but I was keeping a multitude of creatures in buckets and jars for many years before that.   ;D

I still have a soft spot for crayfish and have several scattered about the fish room.....

My Marble crayfish often stand up on their tails and wave their claws around when I walk by like they are saying, "Hey, over here.  Drop me in one of those veggie sticks!"  Very entertaining to say the least.  They are the first thing the grand kids want to see when the come out to the fish room.

Dennis

b125killer

They are interesting shrimp Dennis. I had some ghost shrimp a while back. I think that shrimp are neat the way they go about there business.
Scott

BillT

QuoteMy Marble crayfish often stand up on their tails and wave their claws around when I walk by like they are saying, "Hey, over here.  Drop me in one of those veggie sticks!"  Very entertaining to say the least.  They are the first thing the grand kids want to see when the come out to the fish room.

For a few years i worked on crayfish in a lab and was taking care of about 200-300. Most of them we raised from little guys (maybe 2 mm), a few from eggs.
Most of them were pretty normal but few of them definitely had different personalities. Some were kind of mopy, not very active, not aggressive. Some were just the opposite, very aggressive, alert, probably more active eaters too.

PaulineMi

At least I now know I'm not letting my imagination get away from me when I notice a type of personality in my Amano shrimp compared to my cherry shrimp.   ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

JR

Bought some ghost shrimp a while back. They were fun. They did not last long. My Pearl Gourami ate them.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day