• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 02:11:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 118
Total: 118

Group set up...

Started by Mugwump, November 16, 2013, 07:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

All of my "new" fish go into their own tank.  Not necessarily a quarantine tank as many of my fish always live in a species tank, so they may in fact spend the rest of their lives in this tank.  For those that do get mixed with other fish, they have been in "their" tank for 6 to 12 weeks before mingling with others in the fish room.

Most never receive any chemical treatment but those that do are either killed or cured with Clout or some form of copper sulfide treatment.  Haven't used either of these in years, knock on wood.

Dennis

Mugwump

So......we have a 120gal, w/stand, planted, ......what substrate and lighting???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

With plants, we should try a real good LED....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 17, 2013, 04:07:39 PM
All of my "new" fish go into their own tank.  Not necessarily a quarantine tank as many of my fish always live in a species tank, so they may in fact spend the rest of their lives in this tank.  For those that do get mixed with other fish, they have been in "their" tank for 6 to 12 weeks before mingling with others in the fish room.

Most never receive any chemical treatment but those that do are either killed or cured with Clout or some form of copper sulfide treatment.  Haven't used either of these in years, knock on wood.

Dennis

I wait a week and observe the fish in QT.  If they are doing well, I take my least quality Discus from the fish room and put it in the QT tank with the newly purchased fish and wait another week.  If they are all happy and healthy I take the ones in the QT tank and put them in the fish room.  I got a bad disease not long ago from not following my own advice.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

QuoteI have read that some brands of commercial filter seeding bacteria actually work.  Some do not. 

I have tried some in the past that do not work.
On the other hand I have tested DrTim's and it works great.
I did tests by soaking filter media in it for an hour or two and then putting the media in the biofilter, adding ammonia chloride, and measuring how much was present at various times afterward.
I established a full size biofilter in a day.
His bacteria come in a solution not a dry powder and he ensures that it is made fresh and does not sit on a shelf very long.
We would give DrTimsbacteria to labs we sold racks to so they could use them soon after set-up.

This would similar to squeezing out dirty water from a sponge filter and soaking biomedia in it.
The DrTim stuff would have only a few species of bacteria aimed at eating ammonia and nitrates. A sponge filter will have hundreds or thousands of kinds of bacteria. It would provide a better rounded bacterial ecology but might also transmit disease organisms.

BallAquatics

The Good, the Bad, and the Not-So-Ugly Truths about Aquarium Bacteria

Most people think of bacteria as something that will make you and your pets sick. In reality, bacteria play a critical role in healthy fish, ecosystems, and well-balanced aquarium systems.  Dr. Tim Hovanec, the founder of Dr. Tim's Aquatics, has been working in the aquarium and aquaculture field for decades. His graduate research revolutionized our understanding of biofilter bacteria, and over the years, he has designed numerous bacteria-based products that solve many common aquarium problems. Join us, as we discuss the good, the bad, and the not-so-ugly truths about aquarium bacteria with Dr. Tim.

http://www.petliferadio.com/aquariumaniaep22.html

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 20, 2013, 08:13:55 PM
The Good, the Bad, and the Not-So-Ugly Truths about Aquarium Bacteria

Most people think of bacteria as something that will make you and your pets sick. In reality, bacteria play a critical role in healthy fish, ecosystems, and well-balanced aquarium systems.  Dr. Tim Hovanec, the founder of Dr. Tim's Aquatics, has been working in the aquarium and aquaculture field for decades. His graduate research revolutionized our understanding of biofilter bacteria, and over the years, he has designed numerous bacteria-based products that solve many common aquarium problems. Join us, as we discuss the good, the bad, and the not-so-ugly truths about aquarium bacteria with Dr. Tim.

http://www.petliferadio.com/aquariumaniaep22.html

Dennis
Quote from: BillT on November 20, 2013, 07:30:00 PM
QuoteI have read that some brands of commercial filter seeding bacteria actually work.  Some do not. 

I have tried some in the past that do not work.
On the other hand I have tested DrTim's and it works great.
I did tests by soaking filter media in it for an hour or two and then putting the media in the biofilter, adding ammonia chloride, and measuring how much was present at various times afterward.
I established a full size biofilter in a day.
His bacteria come in a solution not a dry powder and he ensures that it is made fresh and does not sit on a shelf very long.
We would give DrTimsbacteria to labs we sold racks to so they could use them soon after set-up.

This would similar to squeezing out dirty water from a sponge filter and soaking biomedia in it.
The DrTim stuff would have only a few species of bacteria aimed at eating ammonia and nitrates. A sponge filter will have hundreds or thousands of kinds of bacteria. It would provide a better rounded bacterial ecology but might also transmit disease organisms.

Two excellent posts...thanks guys..
Jon

Mugwump

Ok, I'm going partial fill it, 1/3 full, and use a peat/soil mix, to be sand coated after planting. Plants will be Amazon swords, various Anubis, some vale, and water sprite, possibly some java moss tied to a few pieces of wood branches.....then the layer of sand to cover the dirt/peat substrate.... from there, fill it and add three seasoned sponges(to removed later) and start two dble hob filters with purigen/floss......let it finish cycling, remove sponges, let it build up some by introducing some mollies and sword tails...then it's on to deciding on tank mates while the plants root in, and start growing. lighting will be high wattage LED lights...as the tank begins to mature, the permanent population will need to be finalized.......corys, BN, etc.....

any suggestions...any ideas, or better methods??
Jon

BillT

Is this for beginners? If so they maybe not have seasoned sponge filters unless from friends.

Mugwump

You buy seasoned sponges online....or use any number of bacteria additives available. Seasoned sponges, or filter media, are just easier options.
Jon

wsantia1

Unfortunately I bought some seasoned sponges online that were not seasoned.  The guy that sold them to me told me it was probably my test kit.  Yeah right.  I surely did not trust that answer.  I just waited it out that time.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

You can throw an extra sponge in a tank, here,and there, then you'll always one ready..
Jon

b125killer

Most beginners don't know about sponge filters much less seasoned sponges. I have never seen one before I met Jon. Now I don't think I would set up a tank with out a few in it. I think we should let the tank cycle with out seasoned filters.
Scott

Mugwump

Ok...we'll use some feeder guppies to bring it along.
Jon

Barb

I have just seen this thread, I was offline on a trip when you began it.  Is this a virtual tank??  Sorry I don't have enough time to go through the whole thread now.  Just curious,
Barb