• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 06:33:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 242
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 236
Total: 236

Danio margaritatus Update

Started by PaulineMi, November 07, 2013, 07:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

Bred by Dennis...Ball Aquatics.  I'm loving these little guys. They've gotten to where they recognize me as a food source, secondary to their love of the cherry shrimp in their tank that is. I think I took about 30 pictures to get a couple of decent shots of these speed demons.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Nice pics...I can understand the difficulty in getting a good pic....ours never stop either, I think they sleep on the move too...LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Great photos Pauline.  The girls look fat & sassy and the boys are bright & colorful.  You are obviously doing a great job of making them happy.   ;)

Thanks for the update!   ;D

Dennis

PaulineMi

Dennis is it correct that if the eggs are somehow protected, ie, mop, marbles or grating, the fry don't get eaten by the parents?  When I see them hunting down shrimplets I can't imagine they'd ignore fry.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

Pauline,

I know you addressed your question to Dennis, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth of observation here.  My margaritatus are always down in or behind the java moss or susswassertang.  I know they are eating the eggs and fry because none hatched until I would take out clumps of the plant and place them in another tank.  Then I would start seeing fry appear.

A question I have for you and others is what are the conditions you have in your tanks that encourage them to be out in the open as was noted in your photos.  Mine are mostly in the ''brush'' and out of view.  Last night I did put in some floaters that may reduce the direct light that could be spooking them.  I'll observe them today to see if that helps.

They're in a 4 gallon glass tank with a lid and direct LED lighting over it.  Tank is planted with good cover.  Temp runs 70-74 most of the time.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

No, they will also eat all the fry as they hatch.  It is almost impossible to raise CPD fry in the same tank with the adults.  Since the adult CPD are so small, it is very hard to have plants dense enough that the fry can safely hide from them.

Dennis