• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 04:19:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 239
Total: 241

Compatibility of tankmates

Started by Mugwump, October 15, 2012, 09:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Not all fish species get along well in a tank together. Aggression and size can be intimidating, if not deadly, to the other inhabitants. Choose your fish wisely for a less stressful tank.

Here's a link to a chart for choosing ...

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+1911&aid=3284
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I've found that these go well with Discus:

German Blue Rams
Angels
Sterbai Cory's
Many of the tetras, but not neons
Brsitlenose Plecos
Pearl Gouramie's
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I agree...all are mostly docile......at least when not looking to pair up...LOL...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

Brochis Splenden will tolerate the warm temps with Discus. Believe me, they look good together.

Mugwump

I went back and looked this up.....

Common Names: Emerald catfish, common Brochis, emerald cory

Type Locality: Rio Tocantins, Brazil

Range: Amazon River Basin

Taxonomic Troubles: Originally described as Callichthys splendens. Has been known by a variety of names, including B. coeruleus, B. dipterus, Chaenothorax bicarinatus, Chaenothorax eigenmanni, and Corydoras semiscutatus.

Size: 8 cm (3 inches) TL.

Preferred Water Chemistry: Tropical freshwater; as with most fishes with large natural ranges, this species is quite adaptable to non-extreme water chemistries.

Difficulty: A very hardy species. Must be kept in schools.

Tank Setup: Most of the time a school of these catfish will be foraging in the substrate, so a lot of open area is important, but they like to occasionally rest in spaces under driftwood or rocks.

Feeding: Primarily a predator of small invertebrates. Will accept just about any food but is especially fond of live worms.

Breeding: Breeds in typical cory fashion, fastening eggs at the waterline. Young are not difficult to raise and go through a sequence of major changes in coloration, with the intermediate juvenile covered in dark spots and sporting red fins.

Description: At first glance this Brochis could be confused with the old favorite Corydoras aeneus, but besides growing larger, it has a larger dorsal fin and a more lyrate caudal, is more high-bodied, has a longer snout, and displays more intense and changeable coloration. Under ideal conditions this fish shines?hence the common name ?emerald.?

Notes: The intense, iridescent green of a Brochis splendens in good shape is best appreciated in person. Fortunately, keeping a school of these animals happy is not difficult?all they need is enough room, a suitable substrate for rooting around in, clean water, and a varied diet. Perpetually active, they are peaceful fish whose size nevertheless enables them to better tolerate other species that might harass their smaller cousins, the Corydoras. Although this species has been available in the hobby for a very long time, it has never gained the popularity it deserves.
Jon

LizStreithorst

Iridescent green, it says.  That sounds lovely.  I'd never even heard of them.

LizStreithorst

Would they be happy in a BB tank?

Mugwump

I doubt it...??...We got our four from Bob(Capt'n Bob) a few years back...they love the gravel and plants....Bob may chime in and correct me, if I'm wrong.
Jon

LizStreithorst

I doubt it, too.  They'd go rummaging through the gravel in my potted plants and make a holy mess.  Maybe one day I'll do a planted tank again.  Every time I've done it I've regretted it.  But given a little time, I get the urge again.  Fool that I am, I feel the urge coming on.

PaulineMi

I've seen where many people say angels and discus do not go together due to diseases or parasites (don't remember which one or if both) that angels carry. However I'd assume that truly healthy,clean angels would be fine with discus if kept in conditions conducive to the discus.

The question I would still have though is knowing that angels are insanely aggressive eaters and discus are more of a grazer, would feeding these guys be a bit difficult? Also, what ratio of angels to discus would work best? A group of discus to a couple or few angels....?  That would seem to help with food distribution and satisfy the requirement of six discus being the recommended grouping for these fish. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

I've seen some pretty aggressive discus, come chow time...they may look docile, but they can hold there own,,especially adult size.....I've seen discus get pretty brutal when pairing off too......disease?..heck either you have it, or you don't.....
Jon

LizStreithorst

I've never had a problem keeping the two together.  Yes, the Discus like to peck around on the bottom in a leasurely fashion for their food, while the Angels attack it with a vengence.  One way to get around it is to feed the Discus a sinking pellet and toss in flake for the Angels.  Also, being a Discus person I don't mind over feeding because of all the WC I do.

I read the disease/parasite stuff when I first started out.  I never bought into it.  One thing I know is true is that Angels can carry some worms and hex and not show symptoms.  They're just a tougher fish.  If the Angels are harboring something you are unaware of, the Discus may pick it up and become symptomatic.  But like Jon said, if the fish are clean, they're clean.

JR

Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

JR

Had this tank for about a year. With the Angels and The Discus.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

ilroost

JR that was a nice looking tank