• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 01:22:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 346
Total: 346

New Otocinclus Catfish

Started by b125killer, October 12, 2013, 08:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

My 10 gallon tank didn't have any fry in it for a few weeks. It was looking bad with algae.  I was going to clean it last weekend but figured I would do the next best thing. I got a pair of Oto cats to clean it for me. They had the hole tank sparkling clean in a week. I was trying to get them to eat other foods but they just didn't seem to want them. So I put them in the next tank that had a lot of algae. It's a bigger tank and they'll have to compete with the BN fry. They seem to be doing a good Job. They already have the algae off the sword plant. I think the plecos are getting spoiled with  Captain Bob's great fish foods.
Scott

wsantia1

I like oto's a lot.  They do a really good job of taking care of algae and they are a lot of fun to watch. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Cool....they do a good job, and yes it helps to 'fast' the bn's for a couple days in algae'd tanks, to keep their minds on the business at hand....LOL..otherwise they get lazy ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

Does anybody else have bad luck with these dying off soon after getting them? Atleast the ones I get from petsmart already die off, I usually lose atleast 50% off them in the first two weeks. This last time I bought 16 knowing that I would lose some and by day 14 in QT I had 2 left! I don't know if it's the store they are coming from or what. Otos are the only fish I buy from petsmart and only when they mark them down to a $1 or so and they have a 14 day guarantee so I get my money back but I hate killing off that many fish!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Josh

Rjb3

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on October 14, 2013, 09:58:48 AM
What are you feeding them?

My thought too. They need a lot of algae, etc....I believe they're vegan mostly??..not like typical BN type fish, or cory's....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

I have learned that Otos NEED veggie matter.  Specifically algae.  If they clean all the algae from your tanks they could possibly be starving to death.  Most of the algae wafers, it was pointed out to me, start with a high percentage of fish meal and the like.  HBH Algae Glazers was recommended to me because they start with Spirulina algae, dehydrated alfalfa meal, pea powder, soy flour, wheat germ...THEN the fish meal. So you might try supplementing their diet with this to see if you get less die-off.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

That's exactly right, their digestive system is set-up for plant matter and when fed normal fish food it causes them many problems.  I read a great explanation of this somewhere, but can't recall where at the moment.....

It's like the agra-business of feeding cattle corn.  They are meant to eat grass, and corn makes them sick so they pump them full of antibiotics.

Dennis

Jdmcfast

I feed them algae wafers mostly but maybe next time I'll try strictly fresh veggies and see if it makes a difference

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Josh

b125killer

At first they where eating the algae out of the 10 gallon. After they had most of it gone I was trying teenie greenie They didn't eat them. When they where done with the 10 gallon I put them in a different tank that had a lot of algae in it. They do seem to love there algae. There new tank is a bigger tank and has more algae. When there done in that thank, there going to the 55 planted tank. The Java moss is covered in algae. I usually clean it off but i'm leaving it on for the Oto's. I Think they will like it in the planted tank more than the fry tanks. But there doing there job.     
Scott

wsantia1

Quote from: b125killer on October 14, 2013, 02:28:49 PM
At first they where eating the algae out of the 10 gallon. After they had most of it gone I was trying teenie greenie They didn't eat them. When they where done with the 10 gallon I put them in a different tank that had a lot of algae in it. They do seem to love there algae. There new tank is a bigger tank and has more algae. When there done in that thank, there going to the 55 planted tank. The Java moss is covered in algae. I usually clean it off but i'm leaving it on for the Oto's. I Think they will like it in the planted tank more than the fry tanks. But there doing there job.   

Maybe I should have checked out Petsmart before I spent the last couple of hours cleaning the algae out of my 40B.  I don't understand why I'm such a good algae grower. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Mugwump

Algae may not be pretty, but it shows healthy tanks..unless completely left unchecked..I let a lot of my tanks get algae on a few sides..just for the BN's and BN fry...it's good for them, and they draw neat little pics with their paths through it when eating.. ;D
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on October 14, 2013, 05:01:45 PM
Algae may not be pretty, but it shows healthy tanks..unless completely left unchecked..I let a lot of my tanks get algae on a few sides..just for the BN's and BN fry...it's good for them, and they draw neat little pics with their paths through it when eating.. ;D

I didn't clean it all out.  I just wanted to keep it in check. They have plenty left on the driftwood that I have in that tank.
Willie

Mugwump

You're good... ;D...I sometimes just clean the front glass...but I have to clean it all every week or two or it's hard to get off....
Jon

wsantia1

I usually just clean the front glass too but when it starts coming off the side and rear glass in sheets I thinks it's time. LOL ;D ;D ;D
Willie