• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 02:19:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 502
Total: 502

Melafix and Pimafix recipes

Started by Mugwump, October 09, 2013, 12:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Melafix and Pimafix recipes

Melafix is 99% distilled water and 1 % Tea tree oil (melaleuca oil).

You can buy distilled water cheaply, about $2.00 a gallon (128oz). Tea tree oil is available online and in any health store, alternative medicine stores, walmart, Rite Aid. You should have no problem finding it.

You then mix 1 ml oil to every 100 ml water and you get your own Melafix with the same strength as the store bought medicine (as close as makes no difference) Try to get the measurements as exact as possible but if you are a couple of ml of with the water it is no big deal. It is the oil you need to take care when you mix.

To make your own Pimafix it's 1% Bay oil or Pimenta racemosa, same as concentrations as the Melafix, so 1ml in 100ml of water.

NOTES: Reuse your existing Melafix bottle 16 FL OZ (473ml)
1. Using a medicine dropper, measure 4 ? ml of Tea Tree Oil and add to empty bottle.
2. Fill 16oz bottle with DISTILLED water, shake lightly.

Dosage: remove activated carbon from filter, if possible
Add 5ml of Melafix to 10 U.S. gallons of aquarium water. Dose daily for 7 days. After 7 days make a 25% water change. Treatment can be continued if necessary.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

This is great info. Thanks for sharing it.

BTW....could RO water be used?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

Are you turning into a snake oil salesman on us Jon?   ;D ;D ;D    I think the biggest thing both of those have going form them, is that people don't kill their fish using them, like they do with real medication.   ::)

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on October 09, 2013, 04:20:56 PM
Are you turning into a snake oil salesman on us Jon?   ;D ;D ;D    I think the biggest thing both of those have going form them, is that people don't kill their fish using them, like they do with real medication.   ::)

Dennis

LOL..you bet Dennis, good for a case of fish blahs, etc....I believe it helps with fin rot, it's just a basic antiseptic..

"Melafix (a proprietary name) is an all-natural aquarium antibiotic consisting of an essential oil of the Melaleuca genus. Contrary to popular opinion it is not made from the common Tea tree, Melaleuca alternifolia, but from Melaleuca leucadendra, also known as the Cajeput Tree. This is confirmed by the manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melafix

It is a wide-range antibiotic product, and thus is effective for a wide variety of mild gram positive[2] bacterial infections, such as fin rot. However, it is generally ineffective against aquatic parasites and is typically used for treating the wounds caused by them in order to prevent secondary infection by other microorganisms.[3]"

and yep, Pauline...R/O would be fine. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

You're sounding a little like a mad scientist yourself there Jon. I like it.

PaulineMi

I like this because I use Melafix when I see the occasional white mouth from lip locking episodes.  Up the water changes and dose with some Melafix. 

Makes me feel better anyway.  ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

wsantia1

This is great info Jon.  I look forward making my batches. LOL ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BillT

ilroost

I use Melafix in my q.t. tank. Glad to see this Jon you just saved me a lot of money

sschind

As Jon pointed out. Melafix is made from Melaleuca leucadendra and not Melaleuca alternifolia  Tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) is readily available, the other stuff, not so much.  Making your own concoction with the Melaleuca alternifolia may not provide the same results.  The benefits touted of the M. alternifolia appear to be the same as those of melafix so it is entirely possibly that the oils can be used interchangeably but you may want to run a few tests first.  I doubt if it would hurt but it may not work as well.  Just because the plants are related does not mean they all work in the same way.  It seems that the M. alternifolia is much more readily available and it makes me wonder why Aquarium Pharmaceuticals would use the harder to find and presumably more expensive M. leucadendra if the two had the same effect.  It also appears that the M. alternifolia oil may be available in different concentrations so be sure you know what you are using.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Good points Steve...it never hurts to double check ingredients.
Jon

Jdmcfast

Quote from: sschind on October 13, 2013, 09:06:38 PM
As Jon pointed out. Melafix is made from Melaleuca leucadendra and not Melaleuca alternifolia  Tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) is readily available, the other stuff, not so much.  Making your own concoction with the Melaleuca alternifolia may not provide the same results.  The benefits touted of the M. alternifolia appear to be the same as those of melafix so it is entirely possibly that the oils can be used interchangeably but you may want to run a few tests first.  I doubt if it would hurt but it may not work as well.  Just because the plants are related does not mean they all work in the same way.  It seems that the M. alternifolia is much more readily available and it makes me wonder why Aquarium Pharmaceuticals would use the harder to find and presumably more expensive M. leucadendra if the two had the same effect.  It also appears that the M. alternifolia oil may be available in different concentrations so be sure you know what you are using.
I am fairly certain that Melaleuca leucadendra oil is the same thing as cajeput oil and it's available and really not much more than tea tree oil.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Josh

BallAquatics

sschind

Quote from: Jdmcfast on October 14, 2013, 10:54:15 AM
Quote from: sschind on October 13, 2013, 09:06:38 PM
I am fairly certain that Melaleuca leucadendra oil is the same thing as cajeput oil and it's available and really not much more than tea tree oil.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

You are correct about the M.l being the same as cajeput.  I didn't look into it past about page 2 of a google search and it didn't show nearly as many sources for the the tea tree oil.  It is available though.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

P4Angels2

Where do you get the bay oil or the Pimenta racemosa?