• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 01:29:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 376
Total: 377

Cloudy and sad Tuesday

Started by LizStreithorst, April 09, 2024, 04:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have bad news to tell you about Charlotte.  Sandra contacted 2 rescues and they both said the same thing.  A horse of her age who has had the same home for so many years will not thrive in a new environment.  The best thing I can do in this case is to have her put down.  Judy told me yesterday.  Sandra couldn't handle calling me with the news.

After once having decided that when the time came I'd have Shawn shoot her.  How could I afford to have a large horse put down when having a dog put down costs $100?  But once this became a reality, it was just more violent than I'd be able to handle emotionally.

I';; come back in another post because I don't what what I've said already to disappear.

Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

continued...

Sandra, April, their mother Judy, plus my SIL Martha in Brazil all know about this.  Marth is family and the others are like family.  We all thought that the vet would cost a fortune and they all know that I'm broke.  Martha is the only one who has real money.  She'd say that she'd do her best to pay for having the vet do it.  Judy and her daughters said they wanted to chip in.

It wasn't until today that I called my vet.  Apparently, large animal work is priced differently than small animal work.  He will do it for me for $150.  I was so relieved.  I told Martha who was ready to cover way more than $150.  But I told her that since the others said that they "wanted" to chip in I'd tell Judy who will talk to her daughters. I made sure that she knew that the amount wasn't important, the gesture was important.

That's where it stands at the moment.  I've got 200 lbs of feed left before the time comes.  It's almost time for Charlotte's dinner right now.

BallAquatics

That is sad news Liz.  I haven't got another dog because my heart is still broken over the loss of the last one.

You can only do what you know is right for you and Charlotte.  I'll be thinking of you both.

LizStreithorst

I talked to Judy about Charlotte yesterday.  She doesn't see her every day like I do.  When she came down last week she said that she could tell that Charlotte had gone downhill.  Even last year when the vet came to float Chalottes's teeth, he said that she only had a couple of years left for me to do it before she was in pain. 

However because of all this plus the fact that I can no longer afford her, and although I have done my best with her I wish I'd been able to give her a better life.  A single horse needs a buddy.  It's most often another horse, but with a lone horse, it has to be her owner.  Until recently I've been able to brush her and be her friend, even though I could no longer ride her.  But I haven't been able to do anything but keep her fed since last year.  It's obvious.  It's the right time.