• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 02:25:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 235
Total: 235

Neocaridina heteropoda - "Yellow Shrimp"

Started by P4Angels, October 23, 2012, 09:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P4Angels

Yellow Shrimp

Neocaridina heteropoda (var. Yellow)

Background

The Yellow Shrimp is a fairly recent color variation of the wild Neocaridina heteropoda. This color variation was originally bred in Germany and started to appear in the Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp hobby in the early 2000's.

Water Parameters

The water parameters for the Yellow Shrimp are typically the same as other Shrimp species. A pH around 6.5.7.5 is suitable and this species also prefers soft water. Clean water is also a must as with all other shrimp and a temperature around 76-78F seems to suit the Tiger Shrimp best from my experience. This species will breed very well as long as its water parameters are proper and the water is clean. For some helpful information on keeping the Blue Tiger Shrimp please read the article Breeding Soft water Shrimp.

Shrimp Diet
The Yellow Shrimp is an Omnivore. While the Yellow Shrimp is great for aquarium algae control, when kept in larger groups, supplemental feeding is often required. Foods intended for bottom feeding fish and aquatic invertebrates make great foods. Vegetables that have been thoroughly cleaned and boiled until they are soft are also great foods.

Shrimp Breeding
Breeding Yellow Shrimp in the home aquarium is rather easy. As long as there is a mature male and a female in a well established, well maintained aquarium, they will breed. Like all other species, the Yellow Shrimp will breed extremely well and reproduce around the clock as long as it is healthy and happy. The tank water must be very clean and free of contaminants to make sure that the Tiger Shrimp is indeed happy. Each female Yellow Shrimp produces roughly 20-25 hatchlings and will do so constantly if the shrimp is healthy. Once hatching a batch of eggs it should take no more than a week for the same female Yellow Shrimp to once again possess eggs. Breeding the species is not difficult whatsoever and I believe it is not any more difficult than breeding Red Cherry Shrimp. The male Yellow Shrimp is smaller and a little less colorful, while the females are larger and display deeper more vivid colors. Mature adult female Yellow Shrimp will often display a saddle on their upper back (seen in insert). This saddle is the females eggs developing in her ovaries.

Shrimp Behavior
Yellow Shrimp are a very non-aggressive species of Dwarf Shrimp. The Yellow Shrimp is very active and will be often seen grazing for algae on plants, decorations and the substrate. They only become shy and hide after molting (when a shrimp sheds its exoskeleton in order to grow or breed).

Special Notes
As with all aquatic invertebrates, it is important to make sure copper does not get into the aquarium. Copper is toxic to all Dwarf Shrimp. Many medications contain elevated levels of copper, so it is recommended not to medicate an aquarium containing Dwarf Shrimp.
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Jo

Totally cool! Had no idea there were yellow ones!
Jo

P4Angels

There is about every color you can think of.   There are about every color combo out there and even a few you would never believe.  Just like this one:

Black King Kong Shrimp - THere normal price is 149.99 and on sale for 99.99 each...  :'(
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

ouch on the price......I wonder what influences the melanin??...foods obviously, but what native, or other foods trigger the color expression??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

How big do the Black King Kong Shrimp get?
Scott

Jo

Jo