• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 11:03:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 259
Total: 260

A happy Wednesday!

Started by BallAquatics, March 27, 2024, 09:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Well it's just been over 3 weeks since I stopped working at Home Depot.  I'm feeling so much better now.

One of my indicators that I was heading down hill was the fact that I could no longer get my big chainsaw started.  That changed yesterday!

You see, I've had this dream of building some furniture and other things from the trees growing on my property.  With that in mind, I purchased a large chainsaw and Alaskan sawmill about a year ago.

I've got a massive walnut tree that would make some beautiful boards, but I thought I should get some experience before trying to work with the walnut. So I started milling lumber from a down white oak last spring. Things were going great until I got side tracked with some health issues.

The saw fits into this fixture called an Alaskan Sawmill and it allows you to mill boards by cutting trees long ways instead of cross cuts like you normally do.

I cut several longs into boards with good success before trying to cut some short boards from the stump.

If the oak boards are any indicator, the walnut should mill into some fantastic lumber...

Being strong enough to get the big saw running yesterday, just made my day!  I cut enough fire wood to clear out all the old gas in the saw and should be all set to start milling again.  ;)

LizStreithorst

That's wonderful news, Dennis.  That job was taking too much out of you.

The white oak is beautiful.  I understand that Walnut is a way harder wood, and is way harder to work with.  But I could easily be mistaken.  Making furniture is even more difficult.  I know it will be a long time before you will have a piece to show, but I want to see pics of the pieces you make.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Dennis, I thought you went to Alaska and bought a sawmill!!!  Then I looked at your pics and see it is a piece of equipment, haha.  How great to mill your own trees and then make furniture from it, that is wonderful!  Liz, I agree we need pics of what he makes.  Glad you are having a nice greening up early Spring. Here too, and even though it has been cold lately at night, none of the new leaves have turned black, like the last 2 yrs.  Hoping you can walk Liz, even if slowly and with a walker or cane! Ron, now I want some Kauai coffee, and not 10%. Wonder where I can find the real thing?
Barb

Ron Sower

Hi gang!

Dennis, that's great. I didn't know there was that type of milling equipment available! Way cool! I agree with the ladies! Pics of the furniture please.

Barb, go here: https://kauaicoffee.com/pages/rewards?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw9LDzZCWhQMVXAGtBh3KrQ2cEAAYASAEEgKbG_D_BwE

I wish I knew of something that would help you Liz. Hopefully it is just temporary.

I've had a couple days and nights here with digestive problems, so we've decided to cut out trip short by 2 days. We're flying home tomorrow at 0-dark-30 hours. If I'm gonna be sick it might as well be at home. We've enjoyed the things we've done under these circumstances.

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron