• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 07:12:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 242
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 240
Total: 240

Palm Sunday

Started by wsantia1, March 24, 2024, 08:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good Sunday morning everyone. Hopefully you are all well. All is well here with me, Kobe and the fish so hopefully it stays that way.

We got a good 3.5 inches of rain yesterday but thankfully it was all gone before the freezing temps moved in overnight. It is currently 34 degrees under sunny skies but it will get up to 50F this afternoon.

Not much else is going on here so I will be putzing in the fishroom and doing some house cleaning later today. I've been trying to declutter things in this house and I can't believe the amount of stuff that's here that I haven't seen or used in several years. It is time to let a lot of that stuff go while I can still go through it all. I also have some tanks that I am going to let go. I currently have 22 tanks sitting empty on the basement floor.

Have a great day everyone.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

22 tanks Willie?  Wow, that's a lot!  I have 4 in the garage and several indoors that are terrariums.  I still keep thinking about turning one of the 65s into a fancy goldfish tank, the ones with long flowing fins and calico.  But not sure how they would do in this tap water.  Need to check it out before I invest in them.  Big ones cost a bit.  My 6 discus are all healthy, thanks Liz, but they will be my last.  I recently decided to not make and mail anymore cones.  The cost of shipping is now more than the cones!  Sad.

You all have a good day and I will see you here later today.  It is cold, windy and sunny here.
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on March 24, 2024, 09:04:31 AMI still keep thinking about turning one of the 65s into a fancy goldfish tank, the ones with long flowing fins and calico.  But not sure how they would do in this tap water.  Need to check it out before I invest in them.  Big ones cost a bit.

Barb, those fancy goldfish grow fast. Why don't you get some small ones and grow them out?
Willie

LizStreithorst

Willie is right.  Plus it's so much fun watching them grow.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Good idea! In your opinions, which would adapt better to my hard alkaline tap water, young ones or adults?  I have read that fancy goldfish need neutral water, 7.0 or so.  Mine is over 9. Hardness so high I never measure it. I would love a planted tank of neons or cardinals, but they would die here. But I did prove that Discus can grow and live in this water!
Barb

LizStreithorst

Everything I've read says that 9 is too high.  You'll have to try it yourself.  As you know, they used to say that about Discus.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on March 24, 2024, 09:04:31 AM22 tanks Willie?  Wow, that's a lot!  I have 4 in the garage and several indoors that are terrariums.  I still keep thinking about turning one of the 65s into a fancy goldfish tank, the ones with long flowing fins and calico.  But not sure how they would do in this tap water.  Need to check it out before I invest in them.  Big ones cost a bit.  My 6 discus are all healthy, thanks Liz, but they will be my last.  I recently decided to not make and mail anymore cones.  The cost of shipping is now more than the cones!  Sad.

You all have a good day and I will see you here later today.  It is cold, windy and sunny here.
Barb
Barb, look into Pirate Ship for better shipping rates.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on March 24, 2024, 10:16:03 AM
Quote from: Barb on March 24, 2024, 09:04:31 AMI still keep thinking about turning one of the 65s into a fancy goldfish tank, the ones with long flowing fins and calico.  But not sure how they would do in this tap water.  Need to check it out before I invest in them.  Big ones cost a bit.

agree with Willie.

Barb, those fancy goldfish grow fast. Why don't you get some small ones and grow them out?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Hi guys! We just got back from a zodiac boat trip. Saw a small bunch of whale; a Mom and 2 calves. Two is very unusual
Also saw a pod of about 40 spinner dolphins, This was the fastest and roughest excursion for whales we've ever been on. We both feel drained. Tomorrow will be a quiet day by the pool if weather is good.

Hope you're all doing well.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on March 24, 2024, 03:52:02 PMGood idea! In your opinions, which would adapt better to my hard alkaline tap water, young ones or adults?  I have read that fancy goldfish need neutral water, 7.0 or so.  Mine is over 9. Hardness so high I never measure it. I would love a planted tank of neons or cardinals, but they would die here. But I did prove that Discus can grow and live in this water!
Barb

They like neutral PH but I've had GF in high PH when I lived in Chicago and they did fine. I would go for the younger fish. They are cheaper and will probably acclimate easier.
Willie