• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 09:55:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 201
Total: 201

Making fish food

Started by Mugwump, September 28, 2013, 07:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Here's one way...there are variations, I'm sure..perhaps Capt'n Bob will share some of his methods, briefly of course without any trade 'secrets'... ;D

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

b125killer

That's neat, I wounder if that's what Capt'n Bob basement looks like. :o
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on September 28, 2013, 08:53:20 PM
That's neat, I wounder if that's what Capt'n Bob basement looks like. :o

LOL..you mean the back cottage with the huge antenna tower that Igor cranks the generator rods to....???.......bwaa ha haaa ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

My machinery is a little smaller than theirs except for the industrial grinder I use. The machine I use for pellets and granules is also much slower. I have trouble with the food sticking to the equipment. Looks like they're using a dryer with lots of air flow after the pellets shoot out. I'll bet they use some heat, too. Hmmm How soon do ya think Gale will miss the blow dryer and vacuum cleaner hose?

I don't have any machines to package the food either. It's all done by hand.

I do have a presentation on "Dry Food Nutrition" for aquarium clubs that doesn't give out any trade secrets. Most of it is about the actual ingredients used and not so much about production. Once the ingredients are blended together, temperature is critical to food making.

Other critical factors are natural forms of all vitamins and minerals, no food coloring, and no fillers or supplements. Take methionine vs. DL methionine, for instance. The chemical formula differs in that the synthetic DL variety has one less carbon and one more hydrogen atom than the natural form. So how is it the same? They start making DL methionine with petroleum products like aldehyde, hydrocyanic acid, and methane. It seems more like embalming fluid than a food item. Why not use fish, eggs, and soy to provide the natural amino acid, methionine? And why not use natural B-12 from sardines and baby clams instead of a B-12 supplement?

Basement? Who makes fish food in their basement. LOL

Mugwump

Thanks Bob...I'll have to get up there and watch sometime  ;D.....Scott..roadie??? ;D
Jon

b125killer

That would be fun to go see Capt'n Bob. I think my fish would be jealous if they found out about it.  ;D   
Scott

Rjb3

Um, watch? With all due respect, nobody watches the mad scientist create. Heck, the smell runs most people off. LOL

It all started by trying to create a sinking granule similar to one produced by another manufacturer. The rest is history.

P4Angels2

Awesome video!!! was fun to see how the food is made!!!

sschind

Now is not the time to be modest Bob.  I think that is your basement and the hours we spent in the summer house yesterday grinding my roach food was just so you didn't have to show me your new operation.  I think I caught a glimpse of an incubator for growing pro-biotics in there somewhere.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB