• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 01:34:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 382
Total: 383

Need to Talk About Discus

Started by LizStreithorst, September 14, 2013, 11:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

What I really want to do is cross my Stendker Blue Diamonds with my Asian Red Covers from Mike at Central Ohio Discus.  Mike's are the best quality young Discus I have ever purchased.  I love the elegance and refinement of the Asian fish and I like the robustness of the Germans.  I have excellent quality fish in both groups.  I wish they would hurry up and get to breeding age but I have another 4 months or more to wait.

I have another breeding thing in the works until the first one comes to fruition, and this one is of the greatest importance to me.  Y'all please keep your fingers crossed for me on this one.  Neither of the fish are Spring Chickens.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Mine are crossed for you...also my toes and eyes!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

b125killer

My fingers are crossed for you too. Good luck with them.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 14, 2013, 11:31:55 PM
What I really want to do is cross my Stendker Blue Diamonds with my Asian Red Covers from Mike at Central Ohio Discus.  Mike's are the best quality young Discus I have ever purchased.  I love the elegance and refinement of the Asian fish and I like the robustness of the Germans.  I have excellent quality fish in both groups.  I wish they would hurry up and get to breeding age but I have another 4 months or more to wait.

I have another breeding thing in the works until the first one comes to fruition, and this one is of the greatest importance to me.  Y'all please keep your fingers crossed for me on this one.  Neither of the fish are Spring Chickens.

Spring chickens??....I have some 'old timers' that produce some of the finest fry around....not as often, but the quality is awesome....good luck  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

Fingers crossed for your old folks to have success!
Barb

PaulineMi

Rootin' for ya Liz.  Best of luck.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

JR

Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

wiggs

Liz, like Jon said, some of our older fish have the better spawns. They also are larger then some of the young ones.   
Jan

LizStreithorst

They spawned once in the community tank but they were in aged tap and the eggs couldn't hatch.  I moved them to a love nest of their own with RO.  The darned female decided to lay on the side of the cone to the back of the tank.  The male is huge and there wasn't enough room for him to get to the eggs to fertilize them.  I turned the cone around as soon as I saw the eggs, but it was too late.  The next time I looked at the tank the eggs had been eaten.

Third time's the charm, I hope.

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

GeorgeG

And what do you expect crossing the Blue's with the Red's ?

LizStreithorst

I thought that it would be a terrible cross but someone on simple made the cross and posted pics of her adult offspring.  The colors change according to the lighting.  Very beautiful and very subtle.  Rick says the cross (don't know if it's a strain yet) is being bred by some Asian breeder and has a name, but I can't remember the name.

I bet if I took it to the next generation I would get some barless ones.  Now, that would be cool.