• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 11:06:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,317
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 224
Total: 225

Fire in Fish Room Everything is Fine

Started by LizStreithorst, September 10, 2013, 08:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I heard a circuit breaker trip.  I walked down to the fish room and there was a big fire in my water storage container.  I was warming up for WC.  I freaked but I figured it out and put it out.  As usual, I figured that it was something I did wrong,  I wired up my air pump today and it is on that circuit.  But it was not me.  It was something with the heaters I had going in that container.

Scared the shit out of me.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I'll bet it did..... 'crickey' girl that'll soil the shorts for sure...I'm glad everything's ok now...much damage?...I hope it didn't melt anything....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Nothing really.  four heaters are cooked, a hose melted,  I haven't checked the cord on my sump pump.  Nothing big.  I wonder why it took a fire to trip a breaker?  I have everything on GFI.

Mugwump

All those heaters have ground prongs?....check the outlet to see if the grounds good??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

None of my heaters have ground plugs other that these titanium things that have a separate controller.  I have all different kinds because I'm never satisfied with any of them.  I had one old black plastic Stealths in the container The others were were all Ebos.
They're not cracked or anything, just cords melted.  The heater who's cord actually burned in half was the Stealth's.  The others were just melted.  I say it's the Stealth that did it. 

I just checked my sump pump and it is running.  I sure don't feel like doing a WC right now, but I have babies and growing juvies so I must.

BillT

Glad to hear nothing too awful happened.

GFI works by detecting an imbalance between the current flowing in the hot wire vs. that flowing in the neutral wire. An imbalance would indicate the current is going elsewhere and should be turned off (because it might be going through you).

A circuit breaker trips when the there is more current going through the circuit than the circuit breaker deems proper (probably based on the amount of heat generated).

You probably had a lot of current going through a cord to trip the circuit breaker but did not trip the GFI because it was still restricted to the hot and neutral wires.
My guess, a bad cord either had a short from the hot to neutral or a thinning wire caused increased resistance which causes heat and further thinning of the wire until something catches fire.

LizStreithorst

I understand now.

I bet it was that old Stealth.  I had some that sent a current through the water.  I have few left.  They are old.  I will throw them  out.

It was actually a small fire.  But it seemed huge to me.  There were big flames that didn't want to go out.  It was the lid to a blue 55 gallon tub that was burning.  That stuff is very good at burning.  I think that I'll buy a fire extinguisher.

Mugwump

Also note that your circuit breakers trip at a lower current loads than your gfi's...did you try your gfi 'test' button??...
and yes a fire extinguisher is a very good investment....get the right type..they're labeled..
Jon

b125killer

That's some scary stuff, I'm glad everything is ok and there is minimal damage.
Scott

PaulineMi

[quote author=LizStreithorst link=topic=1717.msg15725#msg15725 date=137886448

I had one old black plastic Stealths in the container The others were were all Ebos.
They're not cracked or anything, just cords melted.  The heater who's cord actually burned in half was the Stealth's.  The others were just melted.  I say it's the Stealth that did it. 

[/quote]

Glad you,  your home and fish are okay!

The Marineland Stealth heaters were notorious for this type of problem. They were recalled about three years ago. I returned nine heaters after I lost a tank full of crystal red and cherry red shrimp . The Stealth heater went to 90 degrees on its own.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Barb

Holy moly Liz, what a scare, sure glad it didn't happen while you were sleeping or at work!  Did the melted plastic give off toxic fumes?  Did you air out the room well?  Will call you when I get home later.
Barb

BallAquatics

WOW, Barb's right, it's a good thing you home to catch it or it could have been disastrous.  Glad you and the critters are all alright.

Dennis