• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 07:21:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 339
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 322
Total: 323

Sunday...Better so far

Started by LizStreithorst, November 22, 2020, 12:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Good afternoon, friends.  To day is better for me.  Hope it's better for you too, Willie.  Hope you find time for your African Violets today, Barb.  Ron, you have lots of friends and lots to do all the time.  Sounds like a basically happy life.I planned to get the gravel really well vacuumed in the office tanks.  I'm bad to not clean my substrates enough.  Of course my python must have run away from home.  I was determined so I made a DIY python with a water bottle.  Worked great.  The 125 rainbow tank and my failing 30 gallon red shrimp tanks are both sparkling clean. 

Next I did one of my least favorite things.  I cut and fit styrofoam to the box I'll be sending to Miranda tomorrow.  I will be so glad to get rid of that huge spawn of Dutch Blue Rams.  I thought that they'd be the big seller, but I was wrong.  Everyone wants the Pitch Blacks.  Miranda will make money off them so this is good for both of us, and kind of my thank you to her for letting me have all my Finnex Vivid lights at her cost.

I'll be heading to the supermarket a bit later.  I want to make an authentic Indian chicken curry tomorrow.  I hope I can find the right dried chilies and cardomon seeds the garam masala the recipe calls for.  I've been on a cooking binge lately.  I like to stock the freezer with good things to eat during times of no money.  This will be my third batch of tasty regional foods I'd have made.  I want to do something with seafood next.  Perhaps a gumbo.  Haven't decided yet.

But before I do the fun shopping stuff I really must sit down and pay bills.  It's not fun but it does feel good to get them all paid.  It makes me feel somehow clean. 

Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Hi Liz and everyone. Today isn't much better than yesterday. After doing some more investigation into my leaking 150 I validated 100% that the leak is where I thought it was.

At this moment I am trying to put together a makeshift stand out of cinderblock so I can get the 75G that I put the Altums in off of the floor. I forgot how heavy cinderblock can be and I have 2 more to bring downstairs from the garage.

Unfortunately it will probably be a while before I can fix the 150. It is a deep tank that I can't move off of the stand at this moment. I doubt if any of my neighbors can help me move it (55+ community) and the fish club meetings have been suspended due to Covid.

It may be time for me to start thinking about downsizing. Thanks Liz for introducing me to the world of Pitch Black Rams. At least when I downsize I'll still have beautiful fish that I will be able to care for properly.

Have a great day everyone.

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Man, I'm almost 70 and I'd be there in a minute to move it with you.  It just takes 2 determined people who have some muscles.  Surely you'll find someone to help you.  Don't waste a 150!  Where's the leak?  Corner leaks are the hardest but I've replaced a whole side panel on a 100.  I can teach you.

I cleaned up and did a 90% WC on it.  My poor tanks are so old and scratched.  A green algae grows in the scratches and has to be removed with a razor blade.  It was worth it once I was done, though.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 22, 2020, 02:14:05 PM
Man, I'm almost 70 and I'd be there in a minute to move it with you.  It just takes 2 determined people who have some muscles.  Surely you'll find someone to help you.  Don't waste a 150!  Where's the leak?  Corner leaks are the hardest but I've replaced a whole side panel on a 100.  I can teach you.

I cleaned up and did a 90% WC on it.  My poor tanks are so old and scratched.  A green algae grows in the scratches and has to be removed with a razor blade.  It was worth it once I was done, though.

Thanks Liz. I'll be asking you for plenty of advice when I'm ready. The leak appears to be in the back on the lower right side but away from the corner. The tank has no visible scratches on it. I've got a 20+ year old 75 that is beat up but has never leaked. Instead of silicone it has some kind of black sealant.
Willie

LizStreithorst

It's probably black silicone but considering it's age, perhaps not.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 22, 2020, 05:21:29 PM
It's probably black silicone but considering it's age, perhaps not.

It looks like tar. lol
Willie

LizStreithorst

Yeah, I remember that from back when I was a kid.  I did some digging around on Google and it is tar that was used.  It said it keeps it's elasticity as long as it is not let to sit without water for a long period of time.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 22, 2020, 12:49:31 PM
...[/i]Ron, you have lots of friends and lots to do all the time.  Sounds like a basically happy life.[/i][/u]I
... I really must sit down and pay bills.  It's not fun but it does feel good to get them all paid.  It makes me feel somehow clean.
...I am blessed with friends. That is the true wealth in my life I believe...I wonder sometimes, though, about why I stay so busy...then I realize that I developed these "habits" due to the influence of my dear Mother....she was a great impact on my life...another thing she taught me was to look for the good in everyone I meet and know...she practiced this and I followed...

...Liz...exactly the way I feel about bill paying!   :-\...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron