• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 03:29:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 259
Total: 259

Need some advice's

Started by JR, September 08, 2013, 09:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Seen A 125 gal Discus tank at Gerbers yesterday I loved. It is a planted tank. I would like to set one up as a show tank. It was set up with 2" of Eco-Complete 2" of sand on top of the Eco. The plants were large Swords, Java Fern, Cryptocoryne And Java Moss Led lighting. A lot of Drift wood. Co2 And a UV Sterilizer. Stock was a dozen Panda Corys 4 Clown Loaches 10 Discus It has two FX5s. He wonts 3k for this tank. I have all of this stuff in the basement. Will this work well with Discus. And do you need all of this equipment. Never have used a UV on FW. The C02 I think is a bit much. I have never used LED lighting In a planted tank. Patty is getting into the Discus I would like to set a tank up for her.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

LizStreithorst

Quote from: JR on September 08, 2013, 09:56:10 AM
Seen A 125 gal Discus tank at Gerbers yesterday I loved. It is a planted tank. I would like to set one up as a show tank. It was set up with 2" of Eco-Complete 2" of sand on top of the Eco. The plants were large Swords, Java Fern, Cryptocoryne And Java Moss Led lighting. A lot of Drift wood. Co2 And a UV Sterilizer. Stock was a dozen Panda Corys 4 Clown Loaches 10 Discus It has two FX5s. He wonts 3k for this tank. I have all of this stuff in the basement. Will this work well with Discus. And do you need all of this equipment. Never have used a UV on FW. The C02 I think is a bit much. I have never used LED lighting In a planted tank. Patty is getting into the Discus I would like to set a tank up for her.

This is somewhat out of my area of expertise.  I will start with what I know.  If you do it, start with adult Discus or at least sub-adults.  Growing juvies to their potential in a planted tank is not impossible, but it's close.  The plants are good choices for a Discus tank.  The tank mates are not good choices.  The Panda Corys won't live a long life at Discus temps.  Sterbai's are a better choice.  Clown Loaches work fine when they are young but they grow big and when they are big they bother the Discus with their constant activity, especially at night.  The substrate is good.  The sand will help keep the debris on the top where it can be removed easily with daily WC. 

Now on to what I think...I wouldn't use CO2 unless you want a jungle or are more interested in plants than the fish.  The UV isn't a bad idea.  When I had a planted Discus tank I used it.  A planted tank is always dirtier than BB.  If it does nothing else, It will keep the tank free of algae and the water crystal clear.  I've never used LED lights, so I can't say.

Last, here is my opinion.  Discus come from the Amazon.  Where they live is almost devoid of plants.  There is a lot of driftwood.  A very attractive biotope can be made with sand and driftwood alone.  If I wanted to make a show tank again, I would want to make it look like a piece of the Amazon and keep only wild type Discus in it (not necessarily wild caught, but wild type).  I would probably break down and grow some java fern on drift wood.  Maybe, just maybe, one Amazon sword.  But you know how opinions are...everyone has one :P

Good luck.  If you do it, I would like to see pics.  You might want to ask your question at BIDKA.  Europeans are more into planted Discus tanks than we Americans.
Always move forward. Never look back.

JR

Thanks Liz  I will be setting a tank up like this soon. Will drop the Co2. I knew the Pandas would  not work well. Been wonting to try some LED's. The focus will be on the Discus. What would you suggest as tank mates

LizStreithorst

Some of the tetras.  Cardinals and Rummy Nose come to mind.  Be careful with the Cardonals,  They will get eaten if they're small.  I bet there are others. Bristle Nose Plecos are a must.  Pearl Gourmies do well.  Angels of course.

JR

I have Pearls With the ones I got from David. Don't know much about the Bristle Nose. Will research them. Must do some more research

b125killer

Unless you spend a boat load of money on plant leds I wouldn't do a led light. I tried it's just not enough light for most plants. I have had some successes with java moss with led but it grows slower. I can't keep duck weed alive with the led lights I have. 
Scott

LizStreithorst

They cut way down on tank wipe downs.  I'm very happy with Jon's.  They are diverse which is fine with me and they are hard workers.

Are you still breeding the Pearls?  One of these days I'll be wanting some. 

JR

Yes They are the only ones at this time. Be getting back into the Corys this winter.

LizStreithorst

The Pearls are a work of art when they are in breeding colors, are they not?  They are so peaceful and they do so well with Discus.  I love them them and I loved breeding them.    I'm not quite ready for them yet.  I can see some Sterbais in my future, too.  I'm not ready yet.  I will get with you when the time is right.

JR

When you are ready Liz they will be wating on you. I love my Pearls. And yes they are a work of art.

LizStreithorst

I remember my first spawn of Pearls.  I put a pair in a 10 or 20 gallon.  I had the sponge tuned down to few bubbles.  I used RO.  Nothing kept happening.  I didn't even see a bubble nest.  Then one day there were all these tiny dots in the tank.  They were Pearl babies.  I was overjoyed.  I kept saying, "I have dots, I have dots!"  People put little value on these fish, but I sure do like them.

LizStreithorst

JR, a lady just posted on Simply that she can take some Sterbai's to the swap.  Her name is Tara.  She is someone I like and trust.  I told her to post her offer here.  They're 4 bucks each

JR

LizStreithorst